All things Washer related - for drain tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Its been awhile since I've had to change/install plumbing under a sink.

Noticed new *rubber* washers for slipnuts, rubber tailpiece washers as well.
Are there better/superior when using brass tubular.
I've always used the nylon variant.

Not sure how much this is used, but on my trap arms-trap...there is also a O-Ring where the trap arm mates with the trap. Anyone else using O-Ring in any of these places.......O-Ring lasting longer than some of the rubber washers on the market ?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They are NOT "new" rubber washers. Rubber washers were used for DECADES before the plastic ones were invented. Sometimes they are better and other times not. If you apply pipe dope to the washer before tightening it, it will rot the rubber washers.

Chefwong

Reaction score
The tapered rubber slipnut washers are new to me.
On brass tubular, is the rubber a better fit versus the nylon ?

Aside from Gas Tite, the only dope I have is my stash is Real Tuff Teflon...which is safe for Rubber afaik

They are NOT "new" rubber washers. Rubber washers were used for DECADES before the plastic ones were invented. Sometimes they are better and other times not. If you apply pipe dope to the washer before tightening it, it will rot the rubber washers.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
All the rubber slip washers I have seen are "square cut", not tapered, but with rubber tapering would not give any benefits, and might be a detriment since the rest of the washer would have to deform to force the rubber to fill the slip nut's "gap".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks