Red Jacket 50N1 control box help.

Users who are viewing this thread

rhuian

Reaction score
Bought this house a few years back and am just now getting around to putting my well to work. I pulled the pump out yesterday and this is what I found:

RED JACKET, 1/2 HP 208/230 VOLT,60HZ,11H 7.2A,CODE

L,50N1,3450 RPM,PT.179-314,3 WIRE

There's no control box in the garage where the wires terminate. If there was one it was cut out. I need to find a diagram or person who knows what sorta Cap I'm going to need when building my own control box.

Any pointers?

rhuian

Reaction score
No sense in reinventing the wheel. Control boxes are not that expensive. Just get a 1/2 HP Franklin box and you are in business.

Thanks, Thats what I was initially going to do but I'd talked to a local guy who didn't think that my particular pump had a Franklin motor. It has a plastic cap on the bottom which lead him to believe it was one of the pumps where Red Jacket used their own motor. I looked for a Red Jacket CB but couldn't find one.

Is there any real way to tell which motor I'm dealing with and does it matter? Will a Franklin box work either way?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My Grundfos doesn't have a Franklin motor but I use a Franklin control box. Are you sure it is a 3 wire and needs a control box? Maybe it's 2 wires plus ground?

rhuian

Reaction score
It has red, yellow and black. I think 2 wire plus ground would be black black and green?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With just red, yellow, black, without a green you can't be sure. They could be using red, yellow, black because that is the only kind of wire they had. Then they splice it to two blacks and a green at the motor. Really need an ohm meter to see if any of those wires are grounded. If one of them is grounded, it is a two wire motor. If the two lowest ohm readings addup to the highest ohm reading between the three wires, it is a three wire motor and needs a control box.

rhuian

Reaction score
With just red, yellow, black, without a green you can't be sure. They could be using red, yellow, black because that is the only kind of wire they had. Then they splice it to two blacks and a green at the motor. Really need an ohm meter to see if any of those wires are grounded. If one of them is grounded, it is a two wire motor. If the two lowest ohm readings addup to the highest ohm reading between the three wires, it is a three wire motor and needs a control box.

Thanks, I'd already picked up a 1/2 horse control box from Lowes and wired it up and it works!

Winter

Reaction score
rhuian - What was the model number of your control box? I have the original Red Jacket control box , with the exact same pump as you specified... but I believe the relay is fried. It is NOT possible to find a replacement..... so before I contact someone to pull the old pump, I want to try a new control box first.???

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks