Squeaky Wheel

Users who are viewing this thread

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The squeaky wheel gets the grease....but it's the first to be replaced.
That IS funny! I am a chronic complainer at work, so they say. I've been with them 32 years, and they even asked me to come back after they had asked me to retire :)

I got the best of both worlds, lots of grease, and longevity too. I don't know what they see in me to put up with me, but it seems to be of value to them. I got the luck of the Irish instead of Cookie who Should have got it. My luck is not so good with the Lottery, but health is the most important thing, so I'm happy.

Oh, what do I complain about at work? availability of drinking water, coffee, clean bathrooms with toilets that don't wobble; stuff like that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Oh, what do I complain about at work? availability of drinking water, coffee, clean bathrooms with toilets that don't wobble;

In other words, you are the guy who checks to make sure the janitorial staff and gofers are doing their jobs, and it is something no one else wants to do.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
quote; Oh, what do I complain about at work? availability of drinking water, coffee, clean bathrooms with toilets that don't wobble;

In other words, you are the guy who checks to make sure the janitorial staff and gofers are doing their jobs, and it is something no one else wants to do.
I don't know if its something nobody wants to do as much as nobody else seems to notice it. I know that sounds stupid, but it seems ignorance is bliss. Some people are able to stay happy by making believe things are better than they really are.

I don't consider myself any better a human being than my fellow workers, but I am sure every workplace has situations. Dilbert seems like it was written by somebody that works where you work; one of my favorite comics is Dilbert.

Cookie

Reaction score
That IS funny! I am a chronic complainer at work, so they say. I've been with them 32 years, and they even asked me to come back after they had asked me to retire :)

I got the best of both worlds, lots of grease, and longevity too. I don't know what they see in me to put up with me, but it seems to be of value to them. I got the luck of the Irish instead of Cookie who Should have got it. My luck is not so good with the Lottery, but health is the most important thing, so I'm happy.

Oh, what do I complain about at work? availability of drinking water, coffee, clean bathrooms with toilets that don't wobble; stuff like that.

Oh, but, I am lucky Bob! I am still alive, most others, I am not so sure would be, if they had my health woes or my relatives. And, I got to say, my relatives are lucky, too. Trust me on this one. :) I did not take kindly, to my husband having his picture taken at his funeral & emailed around, nor did, his own relatives, which I caught hell for and I did not even know they did it that day. But, I do wonder what he would had said about that one? I think he would had been pissed.

I think I know what he would had said. He never swore, he would say, instead, Sons of Bitches. He probably, would had said that everytime the 2 of them, snapped a picture.

Sons of bitches, lol.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know if its something nobody wants to do as much as nobody else seems to notice it. I know that sounds stupid, but it seems ignorance is bliss. Some people are able to stay happy by making believe things are better than they really are.

I don't consider myself any better a human being than my fellow workers, but I am sure every workplace has situations. Dilbert seems like it was written by somebody that works where you work; one of my favorite comics is Dilbert.

Me? Bob, I am much better a human being than most I work with. And, that is the truth. I think they are bordering sociopaths. :)

And, I work at 3 different places.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
My husband was electrical, and, I remember he would come home dog-tired, not from the work itself, but the "stress" of this one boss. He would say, " I can't take it with him." Then, at a meeting once, he sat in the back of the big room, big... room, and called me on his cell, saying, " listen to this, just listen to this" and, what I heard was disgraceful. A man, shouting, ranting & raving, I heard his fist being beaten on the table, profanity of all kinds. This was daily I was told. He eventually, got another job, and was much more at peace at work. Not all jobs are like this, but, boy o boy, some people can be really toxic. And, it makes having to make a buck, to pay the bills, to buy food, to pay the mortage and health care, almost pointless. I like Dilbert, he's funny. But, I liked Harvey Pekar, American Splendor because he wrote about the 99% of things in everyday life most people won't or can't see. I am blind at work. I got to be, to preserve my sanity. What is left to it. :)

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I will share with you, a comment made the other day, from a person in management. A woman of course. While I was working, I felt her eyes on me. I thought, now what. Then, I heard, " you know, you are lucky." I agree. But, her reasons, if they weren't sick, would be funny. Very funny. I asked her, the million dollar question, why. Why am I lucky? Boy, was I stupid to ask her that question. She said, " well, you got cancer early, so, you got it out of the way." I was now, staring at her, in shock I would think. Next, came... and, if you didn't have to go through a messy divorce, your husband just died. I should add the rest, it is too funny, really, not to. She said, " well, you got everything, you didn't have to fight over stuff."

Ha ha ha ha, he would had loved that one.

and, she is raising a kid. Wow.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Oh, but, I am lucky Bob! I am still alive, most others, I am not so sure would be, if they had my health woes or my relatives. And, I got to say, my relatives are lucky, too. Trust me on this one. :) I did not take kindly, to my husband having his picture taken at his funeral & emailed around, nor did, his own relatives, which I caught hell for and I did not even know they did it that day. But, I do wonder what he would had said about that one? I think he would had been pissed.

I think I know what he would had said. He never swore, he would say, instead, Sons of Bitches. He probably, would had said that everytime the 2 of them, snapped a picture.

Sons of bitches, lol.
Hi Cookie, lol, I did not mean to offend, but between your health issues and the "rough crowd" you hang with, you have a fantastic attitude, one that most people would not have. I admire your ability to keep your sanity. I would not be able to cope like you, and would be in a rubber room by now, I think:p

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I will share with you, a comment made the other day, from a person in management. A woman of course. While I was working, I felt her eyes on me. I thought, now what. Then, I heard, " you know, you are lucky." I agree. But, her reasons, if they weren't sick, would be funny. Very funny. I asked her, the million dollar question, why. Why am I lucky? Boy, was I stupid to ask her that question. She said, " well, you got cancer early, so, you got it out of the way." I was now, staring at her, in shock I would think. Next, came... and, if you didn't have to go through a messy divorce, your husband just died. I should add the rest, it is too funny, really, not to. She said, " well, you got everything, you didn't have to fight over stuff."

Ha ha ha ha, he would had loved that one.

and, she is raising a kid. Wow.
Cookie, she sounds like a real "winner". Lots of stupid idiots like her out there.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you got "downsized" she would probably say, "Boy, are you lucky. Now you can find a job you really like".
HJ, sometimes it takes a push like that to get a better job. Seriously. We tend to stay at places we really don't like, but feel more secure than having to start new somewhere else. I've never been let go, but have wished I were, and left on my own anyway. That has for the most part, worked out well. Its difficult having to work with other people that just don't seem to give a s**t about doing a good job. I've been working here a long, long time; things must be good here.

I'm ranting again, sorry.

Cookie

Reaction score
I love you people, you guys are the reason I am not in a padded room, lol.

Cookie

Reaction score
HJ, sometimes it takes a push like that to get a better job. Seriously. We tend to stay at places we really don't like, but feel more secure than having to start new somewhere else. I've never been let go, but have wished I were, and left on my own anyway. That has for the most part, worked out well. Its difficult having to work with other people that just don't seem to give a s**t about doing a good job. I've been working here a long, long time; things must be good here.

I'm ranting again, sorry.

See, ranting like yours is good. It is constructive. You make others think and that is good. I think you are right, too. People just seem at times that they do not care to do anything, let alone a good job. And, sometimes, you need that push to get going and not waste precious moments in life on something we do not like to do. I believe, and I have always believed that things happen for a reason. Sometimes, we know the reason, and sometimes, we do not and might not ever know the reason, but, I believe with all my heart, a reason is there, it is not just the luck of the draw. There is a reason why. I had the funniest thing happen to me in 2005. Not funny in the sense of a ha ha laugh but, one of the odd. I was enlightened in life of a purpose. I had always had an interest in RE, that was a given. I am very good at RE. But, I found a love beyond that. And, oddly, it took a loss for me to actually, grow. While mentioning that, I do want to add, just one point, not related to what I am writing about, but, something, maybe others especially, women, may not realize, it concerns marriage. The day a man takes a wife, he loves that woman, at least enough to say, " I do" for the rest of his life, but, there is something that women have to realize, and that is, to grow. That woman that day he took as a wife, he loves, but, she must grow or the marriage will stagnant. Men on the other hand, usually, will always grow, it is the way it is. Just my 2 cents worth while on the subject. I lost my husband in 05. Worst year, honestly of my life, but, a year that took a turn. The week of his death, I walked into my closet and saw all this white stuff all over my coats. My eyes went up and there was my toilet. It was hanging in my closet. It was a rainy season, and, the roof went, and it was raining in my livingroom, my diningroom, everywhere you looked. I remember my son walked into the livingroom just when I closed the door of the closet and he said, " what's with the closet?" I said, " don't open the door, use the bath downstairs." Kids, don't listen, one thing you can bank on, and, he went over and opened the door, and said, " what'd you do that for?"

Yeah, I guess son thought mom went over the edge. One thing about insanity, do not ever underestimate it, because it works.

I started fixing the bath, the roof, the ceiling tiles, the walls, the floors, the mold, and, I joined Terry's. Little did I know, I started to enjoy this type of work. I started to enjoy reading the posts, asking questions, learning, and, then, one day, I started taking classes. Online mostly. I am looking forward to opening my own business to appraise homes, and I might be doing commerical appraising at the local bank. So, you see, how their is a reason? I am not saying that is the reason I lost my husband, but, I think, the "distraction" was placed their for a reason, so, I do not end up in a rubber room, lol.

Years ago, I did not take getting sick very well at all, I hated it. I would not accept it. My oncologist told me, to get a new mindset, well, I didn't know how to do that. Get a new mindset? What is that? A new job? What?

Life is amazing because when you least expect it, something wonderful will happen. Yeah, sometimes, horrible things happen too, but, we already know that, but, how many times, do we expect the amazing? You can try to plan a new mindset on paper, but, that is probably like trying to plan your life, when you will start a family, when you make this much money, when, you get that promotion, it won't work because, life happens, shit happens.

Now, our local college offered me a position to teach an inspirational class in the fall, if I do it, I will name it either, How to get a New Mindset or... Shit happens, lol, and, being it is a catholic college, I probably won't get anyway with Shit Happens, :)

My husband never used swear words, but, I do. I am good at it, too, I could pass for having Tourette's. I see it as a stress reducer, like some people smoke a ciggie after sex.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks