Need help from Afghanistan

Users who are viewing this thread

ImpliedConsent

Reaction score
Need some quick advice: I'm serving in Afghanistan - wife's back in Georgia. We had (<---past tense) a 2004'ish AS Champion. 8yr old daughter "somehow" busted the tank (I got pix, but it will take 23.2hrs to upload). She's going to a big box store, but I don't have time to do research. The Champion did as advertised, we never had a clog and I updated the tower-thing (sorry...I butcher official names).
I see Toto everywhere on the site, but do the big box stores have them ... and if so, what is comparable to awesome flushi-ness of the Champion? Gotta hurry. She's gonna take the shop vac to the unflushed remnants (daughter is 8 ... poops like an adult) and I'm afraid to walk her through that process. She just closed the door and ignores it for the time being until I can get her an answer.

TY'all...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto does not discount to discount stores. They are available from plumbing shops even those who may not stock them can get them. Many of them are made in Georgia so supply should not be a problem. Thanks for doing what you are doing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Her easiest fix to the AS Champion would be to pick up a new tank for the old one and bolt it on, leaving the bowl in place.

TOTO manufacturers in Georgia, but not sold at big box.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
OK ... well. Now not sure what to do. Maybe our plumbers have something. Thx anyway.

I thought there were some good suggestions here, that were intended to help without you needing to incur the expense of a plumber, for whom this whole thing would be relatively-easy. Terry's point was the best, of course: if your wife can get the tank either from a big box or a plumbing supply house or online, then she can just remove the old one and install the new one, which is a straightforward job much, much easier than installing a new toilet, and much less messy, and you are back in business. All the Toto tanks are readily available; I assume the AS ones are as well. AS has a list of local dealers by zip code at americanstandard.com.

If you want an affordable Toto that flushes like a dream, get the Drake or EcoDrake. Both are available for around $200 in white, in round or elongated, normal height, CST744S is the 1.6 gpf elongated, CST744E is the 1.28gpf elongated. (For round just change the model to 743, letters work the same). Sounds like your wife is handy if she is up to replacing the toilet, which is a bigger job than just the tank.

I don't know where in GA your wife is, but if you want a list of local Toto dealers where maybe she can just go and buy one, go to totousa.com, dealer locator link, type in zip code, and voila. (Some of these dealers might also carry AS and might also be able to procure the right tank.)

In the meantime, maybe just running water from a garden hose in the toilet could "flush" the existing waste before she has to take the shop vac to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImpliedConsent

Reaction score
If you want an affordable Toto that flushes like a dream, get the Drake or EcoDrake. Both are available for around $200 online in white, in round or elongated, normal height, free shipping: CST744S is the 1.6 gpf elongated, CST744E is the 1.28gpf elongated. (For round just change the model to 743, letters work the same). I will recommend a source or two that offer free shipping if you want. Sounds like your wife is handy if she is up to replacing the toilet, which is a bigger job than just the tank.

I don't know where in GA your wife is, but if you want a list of local Toto dealers where maybe she can just go and buy one, go to totousa.com, dealer locator link, type in zip code, and voila. (Some of these dealers might also carry AS and might also be able to procure the right tank.)

In the meantime, maybe just running water from a garden hose in the toilet could "flush" the existing waste before she has to take the shop vac to it.

OK, that gets me a bit closer to a solution. She still has the door closed - but the "hose" idea is great! I was a bit to late on the Toto-Drake. I would have jumped on it earlier, but we have an 8.5hrs difference. She awake when I'm asleep/she's asleep when I'm awake. Our internet is a bit fuzzy. She told me (about 5min ago) she's on her way to big-box to pick up the "same" (her words) toilet. Not sure what that means. Her Dad is coming by the house to install (yay, Happy Fathers Day).

Thx y'all ... I guess I was looking for answers like above. Brand/Model suggestions that would be similar to the Champion.

JerryR

Reaction score
FIRST.....LET ME SAY, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!

Hopefully she will be able to get someone locally to help.

I served from 1966-1970, back in the Viet Nam days. Back then one day, a civilian came up to me and my wife at a restaurant and asked if I was in the military. When I said yes, he picked up our check and said thanks for your service. I will never forget that.

Since then I have bought many dinners and meals whenever I see a serviceman at a restaurant. They are always thankful and most times reluctant or embarrassed to accept the gesture. I tell them my story and ask them perhaps in another 40 years they can do the same to "Pay It Forward"

Stay SAFE…...
Jerry

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks