Shop bathroom drain rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Timf

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking for help on a proper way to rough-in drains for a bathroom in a shop.

There is an existing 4†drain on an exterior wall. I need to connect a toilet, utility sink, and catch basin for a floor drain.

The building is serviced by a dedicated septic, so I understand I need a 3†vent through the roof of the building.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed or on which fittings you would suggest?

The bathroom floor will be a concrete slab and I need to rough in drains before calling for an inspection.

bath.jpg

Thank you!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In most areas, you draw your plumbing plan BEFORE they give you the permit to install it. Then, IF you install it that way, they inspect it and give their approval. You are asking us to give you a single E-mail to tell you how to do what it took us years to learn. Besides, HOW you do will depend on several factors which we do not know.

Timf

Reaction score
In most areas, you draw your plumbing plan BEFORE they give you the permit to install it. Then, IF you install it that way, they inspect it and give their approval. You are asking us to give you a single E-mail to tell you how to do what it took us years to learn. Besides, HOW you do will depend on several factors which we do not know.

To issue the permit here, they only required me to specify how many of each type of fixture will be installed. I had to submit a drawing for the septic tank installation, but not the internal plumbing. They are two different departments here (soils and plumbing).

What you describe, sure would have made it easier for me...

Thank you for your response.

Timf

Reaction score
More specifcally, I need to connect the toilet and catch basin (both 3") into the 4" outside line to the septic. Can I connect the toilet and catch basin together via a wye, and have a 3" vent stack up the wall where the line exits the building?

I believe this would be a short horizontal wet vent for the toilet and catch basin. Is that OK?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In theory, what you ask is okay, but HOW you acutally do it will determine whether it passes inspection or not, and you also have to provide a drain and vent for the sink.

Timf

Reaction score
In theory, what you ask is okay, but HOW you acutally do it will determine whether it passes inspection or not, and you also have to provide a drain and vent for the sink.

I'll provide a drawing showing what I'm planning...

Thank you for all the help and advice!

Last edited:

Timf

Reaction score
Here is a drawing trying to show what I'm considering for the drain and vet connetions.

Does this look OK and any suggestions to improve it?

What would be a good way to vent the catch basin?

thanks

bath.jpg

Timf

Reaction score
OK, I think I have something that should work well. Before I cut, glue, and call for an inspetion can somome please let me know if this basic layout and fittings look good?

The line from the sink will have its own 2" vent raising about 8' then connecting to the roof vent line.

All waste lines will be sloped at lease 1/4" per foot.

thanks!

Tim

drain1.jpg
drain2.jpg
drain3.jpg
drain4.jpg

Last edited:

Timf

Reaction score
After a little more research, I found I can't share the vent between the toilet and catch basin the way I had it.

This is the layout I'm planning to use tomorrow.

Please let me know if you see any problems.

thank you for all the help!

bathnew1.jpg

bathnew2.jpg

Last edited:

Timf

Reaction score
Got the drains and vents finished and passed inspection so I can get this covered up and the slab poured!

I have learned a great deal from this site and appreciate all of the expert information that has been generously contributed.

plumb.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks