flexible pipe at WH

Users who are viewing this thread

68malibu383

Reaction score
I can't locate my list of approved piping materials that connect to the inlet/outlet on the water heater but I don't think this one (photo) makes the cut. Please advise.

Attachments

• 6-04-12 053 (Medium).jpg
    6-04-12 053 (Medium).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,147

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not? There must be hundreds of thousands of stainless steel flex connectors installed on water heaters already. Perfectly legal anywhere I know of, as
long as they are NSF approved.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some places require flexible connections, some places require rigid connections, some places allow either as long as they are rated for this use. Places subject to earthquakes generally require a flexible connection and straps to hold it to the wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like the stainless flex connectors. I also use copper.
You don't use tape on the threads though. They come with rubber washers on the ends.

Some people use tape in the most useless places. The sealing takes place at the end of the pipe where the rubber washer is, not on the threads.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is an "approved" material, although it could have been installed a lot more neatly than that. I do not use stainless, but rather use the copper flexible lines, but is is strictly a personal preference.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes you are right Terry,
but the plumbers tape doe's make the nut easier to tighten onto the nipples,

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes you are right Terry,
but the plumbers tape doe's make the nut easier to tighten onto the nipples,

My experience is the exact opposite, tape in inappropriate places makes for more difficulty. Those nuts are not supposed to be made god-awful tight anyway, all you need to
do is compress the rubber sealing washer, very similar to a garden hose connection. If you torque down on those nuts, you are probably damaging the seal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
I can't locate my list of approved piping materials that connect to the inlet/outlet on the water heater but I don't think this one (photo) makes the cut. Please advise.
WOW That sure is a hacked Job ! I use nothing but copper flexes. Plumb. and appropriate length ! Also our code requires 2 earth quake straps with 3/8" leg bolts.
I install a lot of California earthquake shut off valves. 5.2or greater E.Q. and and it shuts off gas.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only things I would have done differently is to change the length of the intake pipe so that a short flexpipe could have been used and the sharp bends avoided. I will say that at least the bends look like they were carefully made so they are not kinked, but shorter flex would have been easier as well as neater looking. You also have to abide by local and state codes on straps, shut off valve, etc.. California is very strict on those things, other places not so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks