12/2 UF-B in attic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I need to run power to my two new vents in the roof, and I have a new piece of 12/2 UF-B w/G I would like to use rather than spending more money for regular wire.

Any problem with that?

I ask because the UF-B has such heavy sheathing and I do not know whether that could be a problem in a hot attic.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I need to run power to my two new vents in the roof, and I have a new piece of 12/2 UF-B w/G I would like to use rather than spending more money for regular wire.

Any problem with that?

I ask because the UF-B has such heavy sheathing and I do not know whether that could be a problem in a hot attic.

I have used UF in my attic with no problems.

It gets very hot in the attic here.

The Code Police will be around to tell you if it is allowed.

Southwire Type UF-B cable is generally used as feeder to outside post lamps, pumps, and other loads or apparatus fed from a distribution point in an existing building as specified in the National Electrical Code.1 UF-B cable may be used underground, including direct burial. Multiple conductor UF-B cable may be used for interior branch circuit wiring in residential or agricultural buildings at conductor temperatures not to exceed 90°C (with ampacity limited to that for 60°C conductors) as specified by the National Electrical Code. UF-B can be used in applications permitted for NMC in Section 334.10(B) of the National Electrical Code. Voltage rating for UF-B cable is 600 volts.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Any problem with that?

No, here is what the NEC says

Installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable. Where so installed, the installation and conductor requirements shall comply with Parts II and III of Article 334 and shall be of the multiconductor type.

When installing it do it the same way you would for NM cable and it will be fine

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
No, here is what the NEC says

Installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable. Where so installed, the installation and conductor requirements shall comply with Parts II and III of Article 334 and shall be of the multiconductor type.

When installing it do it the same way you would for NM cable and it will be fine

I do not think that any wire should be buried unless in conduit.

The code should be changed for safety.

Maybe you could make that happen.

You have the Power.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I do not think that any wire should be buried unless in conduit.

The code should be changed for safety.

Maybe you could make that happen.

You have the Power.

I think Gophers need to be smart enough not to chew on a cable that is rated for direct burial

Reaction score
I think direct burial wire should be required to be protected by a GFI, as well as being buried 18" deep, with a warning tape six inches above that.

At least the few times I have done it, that has been my approach.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I think direct burial wire should be required to be protected by a GFI, as well as being buried 18" deep, with a warning tape six inches above that.

At least the few times I have done it, that has been my approach.
I used to think that was overkill in a simple residential setting, but now I agree. A few days ago I replaced a badly-corroded outdoor receptacle only to discover it still does not work because I had previously cut the line when I buried a cable just a few inches deep for my satellite TV. And after repairing that UF line, I will definitely add a GFI breaker (like I had been planning to do anyway).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks