Fleck 7000 questions

Users who are viewing this thread

cgarai

Reaction score
Hi,

Many folks here recommend the Fleck 7000, but one online seller advises against it in favor of the 5600. They claim the head leaks. I was all set to order the 7000SXT. Any comments?

Chris

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I sell thousands of 7000SXT's a year, no problems at all. The 5600 is a great valve and has been around since the early 80's, the 7000 is decades newer technology, both are great. The 7000 is a much more modern valve, higher flow rates, and should be a similar price. Either way, you will do just fine. If you have a large house, the 7000 is definetly preferred.

Many online sellers will have one bad experience with a product and they dont want to deal with it again, espeically those dealers who do not actually install the units on a regular basis so they are not aware of how to maintain them properly.

Last edited:

F6Hawk

Reaction score
As a "very long time" user/DIY'er of the 7000, I gotta say I am very happy with the fine pros on this forum recommending it to me. The 5600 was my other choice, but I went with newer technology, though some will say they are not much different internally. Either way, you should be very happy with your choice. Now the fun of sizing it and understanding salt programming begins! :)

(BTW, tongue-in-cheek on the part above in quotes... perhaps you have seen my thread about Do I Need A Softener... I just got my 7000SXT last month)

One thing I will say is that it would be VERY EASY to over-torque the valve on top of the resin tank. It comes pre-lubed, and has a lot of mechanical advantage. Turn til it touches the seal, then perhaps 1/4-1/2 turn more, max. I went with 1/4 turn, and have no leaks thus far.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Hi,

Many folks here recommend the Fleck 7000, but one online seller advises against it in favor of the 5600. They claim the head leaks. I was all set to order the 7000SXT. Any comments?

Chris
The 7000 is overkill for most houses. It is a 1.25" valve and can be used on very large softeners but most houses do not have a need for a 1.25" control valve.

The 5600 can be used on up to a 2.0 cuft (64K) softener and the 2510 can be used on much larger softeners (96K or larger). You can find the specs at
www.fleckcontrols.com

The 7000 is much larger physically than the other two valves which uses more floor space for the softener and it has the plumbing hanging off it much farther behind it than the others.

The "newer" technology of the 7000 is external, as to how the piston is driven and indexed, the internals are damned near identical to the others just larger in diameter.

So actually, what do you gain by reducing the inlet and outlet from 1.25" to 1" or more likely 3/4" plumbing that benefits you when many dealers don't sell the 7000 near as much as the other valves?

Also, the default size of the distributor tube is the same as the other two valves; and all the water you use from the softener goes through that tube to get out to your fixtures. That's unless you special order the larger distributor tube, and why do that if you don't need the additional gpm flow from a very large softener?

Last edited by a moderator:

ditttohead

Reaction score
Simply put, there is no disadvantage to the 7000, other than the physical size of the valve, and unless you are in a dire situation to save 3" of floor space, it is a non issue. From a technology standpoint, the 5600SXT and 2510 use traditional physical microswithces to determine cycles. the 7000 series and the 5800 series use optical sensors to determine the cycles. The 7000 valve uses a completely different manufacturing technique as well, similar to the Autotrol and Clack valves. The valve is also designed for very quick and easy assembly, unlike the 5600 and other older valves that are quite labor intensive to assemble. As to the distributor tube, it is not the same size, the "default" size is 32MM, or approximately 1.26" OD, the "default" size of the 5600 and 2510 are 1.05" od. The 7000 also differs in the brine refill, it uses softened, clean water instead of raw water for the refill. So please refrain from commenting on items that you lack knowledge of.

I have worked on virtually every control valve that has been manufactured in the past 30-40 years, and I sell Clack, Fleck, Autotrol, Erie, and about a half dozen other softener controls with distribution all over the world. Since the majority of the questions here are about Fleck, and since the Fleck product line has been the best selling control valve for over 30 years, and since my knowledge of the Fleck product line, as well as the Clack and Autotrol line are considerable, I guess you could call me "insert name of control valve manufacturers name here" guy.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Simply put, there is no disadvantage to the 7000, other than the physical size of the valve, and unless you are in a dire situation to save 3" of floor space, it is a non issue.
The floor space issue is more than 3", or you wouldn't be mentioning it as a disadvantage. And the biggest disadvantage is buying something way larger than the house needs.

From a technology standpoint, the 5600SXT and 2510 use traditional physical microswithces to determine cycles. the 7000 series and the 5800 series use optical sensors to determine the cycles.
You mean the same micro switches that have been used in many industries for many decades and that rarely fail. That doesn't sound to be much of a disadvantage to me. And optical sensors have been used for much less time and must be kept very clean or they fail. And to use them to position the piston takes a special motor (stepper motor) and a computer to control it. I don't see how that is an advantage to the old tried and true mechanical positioning that has been used for the last 50-60 years.

The valve is also designed for very quick and easy assembly, unlike the 5600 and other older valves that are quite labor intensive to assemble.
And it only comes apart or goes together IF you perfectly align/index the piston first and hopefully you remember to do years after buying a 7000.

As to the distributor tube, it is not the same size, the "default" size is 32MM, or approximately 1.26" OD, the "default" size of the 5600 and 2510 are 1.05" od. The 7000 also differs in the brine refill, it uses softened, clean water instead of raw water for the refill. So please refrain from commenting on items that you lack knowledge of. [/quiote]
You are assuming I didn't know those things. My supplier's default DT was 1.05 IIRC and I think many online dealers have the 1.05" DT as their default. AS to soft water refill, it's more marketing than an actual advantage although it is a nice feature but, I was talking of the disadvantages of the 7000. BTW, I don't tell you what to do or not do or what to say or how to say it and I think your telling me says a lot about you and why you which to post anonymously.

I have worked on virtually every control valve that has been manufactured in the past 30-40 years, and I sell Clack, Fleck, Autotrol, Erie, and about a half dozen other softener controls with distribution all over the world. Since the majority of the questions here are about Fleck, and since the Fleck product line has been the best selling control valve for over 30 years, and since my knowledge of the Fleck product line, as well as the Clack and Autotrol line are considerable, I guess you could call me "insert name of control valve manufacturers name here" guy.

And that 30 years of Fleck popularity in residential valves you mentioned, it is based on the 5600, and the brass 2500 that is now only in plastic as the 2510; not the 7000 or the soon to be unleashed to the residential public 5800.

cgarai

Reaction score
Well I guess I'll take that as a thumbs up on the 7000.

I have to say that you two boys ought to have a time out. Neither are improving your images with those sorts of posts. That said, I do appreciate the responses.

Thanks,

Chris

ditttohead

Reaction score
Any Fleck, Clack, or even the Autotrol line will serve you well for many years. And... anyone who cares to know who I am can simply ask in a pm as many do. If I were self promoting, I think I would plaster my name and my website in every post.

MagKarl

Reaction score
Well, as someone who lives the DIY lifestyle in every possible way, I want to say that I rather enjoy the debate most of the time. For someone searching for info, experience, and opinions, you almost always get it from both ends and not a one sided assessment. I appreciate your taking the time to educate the rest of us DIYers. Please continue to play just nice enough that nobody quits the forum.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The turn of this thread is the Biggest reason I only pop in from time to time.

I have no room for the in fighting that I see most of the time.

I have seen more in fighting than I have seen use full information on challenges in the real world.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks