AC Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Remove any dust, leaves, pine needles, bugs, etc. from the condensor coils. If any are bent, buy a comb and straighten them. The coils and fins work best when clean and straight. Look for loose or corroded connections, leaking capacitor(s), dirty contactors, frayed wires. Make sure the condensate drain is clean along with the drip tray on the evaporator, and check those coils and fins for debris, clean as required. If it doesn't gravity drain, make sure that the condensate pump works. Most anything else requires tools or test equipment most DIY'ers don't have.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
When Getting my AC ready for the upcoming midwest summer, what type of suggestions do you have before a call out a professional?

Given that you're a professional, why do you ask? (Beyond the typical trollin' an' spammin' exercise, that is? :) )

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should drain the system by opening up the service valves and allowing the refrigerant to vent to the atmosphere in a plume that rises above your house. Be sure someone from the EPA is there to record the event for you.

Spam spam spam spam spammitty spam

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Remove any dust, leaves, pine needles, bugs, etc. from the condensor coils. If any are bent, buy a comb and straighten them. The coils and fins work best when clean and straight. Look for loose or corroded connections, leaking capacitor(s), dirty contactors, frayed wires. Make sure the condensate drain is clean along with the drip tray on the evaporator, and check those coils and fins for debris, clean as required. If it doesn't gravity drain, make sure that the condensate pump works. Most anything else requires tools or test equipment most DIY'ers don't have.

That covers about all that needs to be done.

No need to call anyone.

The only one that can vent the refrigerant into the atmosphere is a person without a licenses.

vogelheat

Vogel Heat
Reaction score
Website
www.vogelheating.com
Conversation

Given that you're a professional, why do you ask? (Beyond the typical trollin' an' spammin' exercise, that is? :) )

Conversation starter my friend... I like to ask questions to get answers for other people.. Also to see what type of people we have in here. Maybe I know the answer, but it doesn't mean others do.... Plus I want to see if people are going to give legit answers before I start asking real questions I don't know the answer to... You get me?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hence Tom Sawyer! Come on guys....
this is almost as good as my morning coffee, but this AND my morning coffee: Priceless. However, if nastiness to all (and more fun) is necessary, visit Alt.HVAC newsgroup. Lots of the oldtimers are still there, but there are new harrassers as well. Home moaners beware.:D:eek:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
me neither, I just need to hear myself write. clickity click click. No offense intended

I guess some can't handle the Heat.

Wonder where vogelheat came from.

vogelcool is cooler.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Didn't bother me either, but I was hoping something other than content-free generic postings (like this one). Is it too much to ask?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks