Buying Spare Parts For My Old Computer

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
My desktop computer was state-of-the-art back in 2005, and it really meets all of my computer needs. I would like to keep it going for as long as I can by buying spare parts and fixing it as stuff goes bad.

I located nearly identical used CPU's as mine online, going for $10-$15. I have not located any used mother boards, however. I'm wondering how you even find an exact match for a motherboard, or do you just have to have one custom-built to match my old one, once it goes bad?

Also, how exact does a replacement CPU have to be, in order to use the same motherboard?

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
you can buy a new pc, without monitor, for like $200 bucks. I just gave away my old hp desktop from 2005. it still worked, except the hard drive crashed. it cost me less for a new pc, rather than buy a 1 gig hard drive and windows 7. why would you want to throw good money after bad? the computing world is outdated the day after something comes out. pretty soon your 2005 pc will be obsolete. custom built motherboards? $$$$.

Kiko

Reaction score
My HP desktop has many USB and fire wire ports, and I use all of them. It also has two disc drives, and I love windows XP. When my CPU cooler died a while back, someone loaned me a newer tower, and I hated it. The font seemed smaller, even though I was using my same monitor, and I felt like I was straining the whole time I was using it.

I didn't say I wanted a custom built mother-board. I was just wondering how to match up my old one with another one that is the same, either new or used.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My HP desktop has many USB and fire wire ports, and I use all of them. It also has two disc drives, and I love windows XP. When my CPU cooler died a while back, someone loaned me a newer tower, and I hated it. The font seemed smaller, even though I was using my same monitor, and I felt like I was straining the whole time I was using it.

I didn't say I wanted a custom built mother-board. I was just wondering how to match up my old one with another one that is the same, either new or used.

Which CPU is in there now, how much of what type RAM, what size (form factor) is the present motherboard?. If you know these things, you can look at ASUS web site, or other MFGs sites and see what there is to offer. Check Newegg.com to see a bewildering list of motherboards. I don't know if I'd ever buy a used CPU (that's actually funny to me!) http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=20&Tpk=motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=343&name=Processors-Desktops&Page=2

Anyway, you will spend more to buy a new CPU and Motherboard than if you buy a new PC as Chad said. A new PC can normally have Windows XP installed on it (by you, if you have the original XP CD and install Key number. Your font settings on a new PC should be able to made to work with your old monitor and look the same as you have now. USB and firewire adapter boards can be added to a new PC if there are extra slots on the Motherboard, and you really need more ports.

I used to love XP myself until I got used to Windows 7, but now I prefer 7.

Buying a used CPU and motherboard makes as much sense as you selling yours to somebody else and them buying yours.

Last October I bought my wife an HP small desktop with 4 Gigs of RAM, 1 TB drive, Windows 7 Home Premium installed, with a decent 21 inch wide screen monitor at BJ's Club for $399. It has about 8 USB ports. It has a fairly fast AMD processor and built in graphics and sound board, way sufficient for my wife's needs.

I've built so MANY PCs myself in the past, and it always is an expensive proposition. I like a fast powerful machine, but that costs. No matter which way you go, it will be shortly obsolete.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The font is a function of the computer's resolution setting, NOT in the monitor, which is why it was smaller. If you had changed the resoluton IN THE computer it would have been the same or any other size you wanted. Depending on the brand, the mother board AND power supply can be proprietary, which means you have to buy replacements from them or get parts from a used one.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
If you goto a local small biz computer store they wll help you build a new computer with all the usb ports you want. you can even add more after the fact. I'm sure they would even help you keep windows xp.

Now the rant. ;) It's not worth trying to piece together something from random used parts. This point in time its not worth keeping windows xp. The life is almost out for xp. Suport is almost over. updates are done or almost done. Do your self and the security of your computer a huge faver. upgrade. You will have a nice clean install. Your pc wll run faster n better n your security wll be well secure.
My brother just got nailed by a huge virus. The only way he could get ride of it was a full system format. Yes this was the answer he got when searching the web.

Good luck.

Kiko

Reaction score
Anyway, you will spend more to buy a new CPU and Motherboard than if you buy a new PC as Chad said.

A used CPU that matches mine is about $10.00 online. I just thought if I could find a similarly cheap motherboard, I could keep both as spare parts. Being out of work, I could not afford to buy a new computer if mine died. I will try to find that information on my motherboard, but it would be better to find a used one that matches my current system, if I could get it for cheap.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A used CPU that matches mine is about $10.00 online. I just thought if I could find a similarly cheap motherboard, I could keep both as spare parts. Being out of work, I could not afford to buy a new computer if mine died. I will try to find that information on my motherboard, but it would be better to find a used one that matches my current system, if I could get it for cheap.
I suppose if you know the specs of what your present motherboard has, as one of my previous posts mentions, you may be able to find something around. Older motherboards and newer ones generally accept different families of CPUs and
RAM modules, possibly different expansion slot types. I'm sure what you need is out there. You have to know what your present board is as the start. Maybe try a local PC repair shop that took an old PC in as a trade in/up

Kiko

Reaction score
I'm curious what happens when a CPU, motherboard, or hard drive goes bad. Do you get any warnings/messages on your monitor, or does the screen just go blank?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what happens when a CPU, motherboard, or hard drive goes bad. Do you get any warnings/messages on your monitor, or does the screen just go blank?
depending on what fails, you can see text on the screen as it tries to boot up, or get POST (Power On Self Test) beep codes for different failures like bad RAM or sometimes CPU. Of course if the power supply or video board fails, you won't see or hear anything. The beep codes are usually listed in the motherboard manual or on the manufacturer's or BIOS maker website. Here is a website I found by googling boot up beep codes: http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

A completely failed or disconnected hard drive ususally shows up as "no hard drive found" (cute, huh?) on your screen.
lots of clunking noises usually means a failing hard drive. if everything is good, but the operating system or drivers got corrupted, you can get all kinds of weird errors or failures

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I have always gotten some type of warning long before something stop working. Like BobL43 said a hard drive will make noises. video wll some times seem a little slow or acting strange. Audio wll seem like lost reception off/on off/on. mother boards wll tend to last a long time. Memory well you wll know this. You will run out of memory. The software you always run will tell you. CPU failing. well you wll have the computer just shut down.

If you take care of your computer it will last longer than 7 years. Dusting it often is key. If it over heats ever. well time to start looking. your going to need something very soon. I have had much older systems. Last n last. Try to avoid used things. Learn how to remove drives n rebuild. Ask everybody you know if they have n old pc. You will be shocked how much stuff you can get for free.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score

What is the Model of your Computer ?

If the cpu or motherboard fails sometimes it just appears to be dead, but the fans may run. A working CPU and power supply is required for POST to work properly, because POST runs the test using the CPU and a program located in ROM.

Power supply problems are the biggest cause of failure, on long term used computers.

The Cooling fans are the major cause of power supply and cpu failure. All fans should be changed about every 5 years or when you hear them making unusual noise. And fans should be cleaned yearly.

If you run your computer 24/7 then the life expectancy of a hard drive is about 5 year. Normally S.M.A.R.T. will tell you when the hard drive is about to crash, or if it has overheated.

The CMOS RAM battery should be changed every 5 years or so. Or when the Date/Time gets lost when power is turned off.

Many variables in the equation.

What is the Make and Model of the Computer in question ?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

If the cpu or motherboard fails sometimes it just appears to be dead, but the fans may run. A working CPU and power supply is required for POST to work properly, because POST runs the test using the CPU and a program located in ROM.

Power supply problems are the biggest cause of failure, on long term used computers.

The Cooling fans are the major cause of power supply and cpu failure. All fans should be changed about every 5 years or when you hear them making unusual noise. And fans should be cleaned yearly.

If you run your computer 24/7 then the life expectancy of a hard drive is about 5 year. Normally S.M.A.R.T. will tell you when the hard drive is about to crash, or if it has overheated.

The CMOS RAM battery should be changed every 5 years or so. Or when the Date/Time gets lost when power is turned off.

Many variables in the equation.

What is the Make and Model of the Computer in question ?
So many questions Don. How about some answers?:p

I built my last PC in 2008 I think. Nice Antec Stainless steel full tower case, Asus Crosshair MB with Athlon 64X2, I forget speed, but it was very fast at the time, 6GB Corsair heatsinked RAM, 3 500GB SATA WD Caviar Black Drives.
Hauppauge TV PCI Express Card.

Works well, but, hey you know the story. Although now that I no longer work full time, there are more important things to spend my money on. Now what was that anyway?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
So many questions Don. How about some answers?:p

I built my last PC in 2008 I think. Nice Antec Stainless steel full tower case, Asus Crosshair MB with Athlon 64X2, I forget speed, but it was very fast at the time, 6GB Corsair heatsinked RAM, 3 500GB SATA WD Caviar Black Drives.
Hauppauge TV PCI Express Card.

Works well, but, hey you know the story. Although now that I no longer work full time, there are more important things to spend my money on. Now what was that anyway?

I have a Smoking computer with 4 Core and 16 gig ram and smoking Video card that runs Win 7 64 Pro. It is for cad work. Sounds like a plane getting ready to launch when the 8 inch fan kicks in. Great room heater.

But my favorite is this one. It is a HP 8396 PentII 450mhz with 512 MB memory running XP SP2, with 8 meg MPG-2 Video on board, and WinTV TV-Tuner. Very reliable. I have replaced the Power Supply Fans and added a couple extra cooling fans.

Sounds like you are living the good life. I am in the stone age.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a Smoking computer with 4 Core and 16 gig ram and smoking Video card that runs Win 7 64 Pro. It is for cad work. Sounds like a plane getting ready to launch when the 8 inch fan kicks in. Great room heater.

But my favorite is this one. It is a HP 8396 PentII 450mhz with 512 MB memory running XP SP2, with 8 meg MPG-2 Video on board, and WinTV TV-Tuner. Very reliable. I have replaced the Power Supply Fans and added a couple extra cooling fans.

Sounds like you are living the good life. I am in the stone age.
The good life, ah yes! That's why I went back to work, to be able to still buy stuff, (like food and toys)

That's a powerful toy you got there Don

Kiko

Reaction score

HP Pavilion a824n
Windows XP SP3
530J Pentium 4 processor w/hyper-threading technology
3.0GHz Speed, 1MB L2 cache, 800 MHz front side bus
1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM Memory
200 GB 7200 RPM serial ATA hard drive
Intel Graphics Media accelerator 900
with up to 128 MB shared video memory

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
HP Pavilion a824n
Windows XP SP3
530J Pentium 4 processor w/hyper-threading technology
3.0GHz Speed, 1MB L2 cache, 800 MHz front side bus
1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM Memory
200 GB 7200 RPM serial ATA hard drive
Intel Graphics Media accelerator 900
with up to 128 MB shared video memory
So a quick Googling shows this as the Motherboard being an ASUS PTGD1-LA http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00280650

And
the motherboard can be bought used or "reconditioned" see: https://www.google.com/search?sourc...f.,cf.osb&fp=9f984a8daa766a2&biw=1185&bih=696

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
The Goodwilly has old computers, and can be picked up cheap for an old part, also, I know people who pick up puters from garbage day and gets parts, can't get any cheaper than that, but, hey! it works.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The Goodwilly has old computers, and can be picked up cheap for an old part, also, I know people who pick up puters from garbage day and gets parts, can't get any cheaper than that, but, hey! it works.

The only stalking I've ever done was to eat a piece of celery

Cookie

Reaction score
I have never pro crastinated, lol. :) Ps. Eat that celery, lol, just plain, otherwise it is dangerous to ones' health. :) I woujld like to have a bagel now. With cream cheese. I like them toasted. And, a coffee. Black. No sugar. :) Send immediately.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks