Power Flux (Dimming)

Users who are viewing this thread

swami69

Reaction score
OK, here is my problem. I live in a newly constructed house. They are building a new house right next door. I am seeing a power flux (dimming) in my lights whenever any of the following occurs:

- I turn on the A/C in my house
- I turn on the washing machine in my house
- the compressor next door kicks on (for their nail gun and/or other tools)

The compressor next door is hooked up to a temporary post on the street. I have had my electrician come look along with the utility company. The utility company says that the house is getting plenty of power. So now, short of getting another electrician in here, trying to figure out what the problem could be (and if my electrician, who is the one who did the wiring during construction, doesn't know what he's doing). Most of the lights in the house are 60W if that matters.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? I would think that given the proper wiring that I shouldn't see any kind of power flux.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Even in a new house, the start up of a large A/C compressor can cause a momentary slump, which could cause some flickering or dimming.
The washing machine, or something next door, should NOT.

Did the utility company actually come out and look at the situation?

The only definitive test is to install a volts and amps recorder on your panel. You can probably rent that equipment, but it won't be cheap.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
This can be absolutely normal, even in a new house.

What relevance does the house next door have? Are you implying that that is somehow the cause?

swami69

Reaction score
The utility company came out twice. The first time to upgrade the wire from the street to the box on the house. The second time they checked the voltage and said I was getting the full amount. I asked if the distance from the transformer/pedestal was too far and they said no (only b/c other houses on the street were set up that way).

As for the house next door, the flux is being caused by the air compressor that is hooked up to the temporary post for the other house. Could there be an issue with how the temporary is set up too?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the wires are correctly sized for the load and the connections are all tight all along the path to the load, unless the transformer supplying the house(s) is undersized, the voltage should be pretty stable.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
My home is wired with ALL #12 for lighting and receptacle branch circuits, and the circuits are pretty well laid out.
I STILL get lighting dimming when the refer, A/C, pool pump, etc, kick on.

Even if there is an "issue" (not sure what this means) with the setup next door, what do you propose is done? The POCO and electrician have both looked at it.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
OK, here is my problem. I live in a newly constructed house. They are building a new house right next door. I am seeing a power flux (dimming) in my lights whenever any of the following occurs:

- I turn on the A/C in my house
- I turn on the washing machine in my house
- the compressor next door kicks on (for their nail gun and/or other tools)

The compressor next door is hooked up to a temporary post on the street. I have had my electrician come look along with the utility company. The utility company says that the house is getting plenty of power. So now, short of getting another electrician in here, trying to figure out what the problem could be (and if my electrician, who is the one who did the wiring during construction, doesn't know what he's doing). Most of the lights in the house are 60W if that matters.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? I would think that given the proper wiring that I shouldn't see any kind of power flux.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Maybe adding a Flux Capacitor would help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only way the neighbor's AC could affect your lighting is if the power TO the transformer is inadequate, because both wires should be connected to the transformer, NOT to each other. Can your penguin tell if I am pregnant?

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The only way the neighbor's AC could affect your lighting is if the power TO the transformer is inadequate, because both wires should be connected to the transformer, NOT to each other. Can your penguin tell if I am pregnant?

HJ, the LINUX Pingu knows all. he just said you are too old to become pregnant, but still young enough to cause it.:p

http://www.google.com/search?q=ping...bFoqBgwe7mejiDQ&ved=0CGMQsAQ&biw=1090&bih=705

Bad dude and Tux seem to waffle

ah, Don went ahead and put up another icon

so easy, even an old fart can do it.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Especially if it a poly-phase Tantilum

That is the type that I use.

I have no voltage or current drop with the poly-phase Tantilum type.

In fact it made my Voltage and Current go up a bit.

I just wish they did not cost so much and were easier to get.

I guess new technology does cost a little more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks