Outdoor Subpanel 350' feet away from Barn

Users who are viewing this thread

hagler

Reaction score
Need to run wire for automatic horse waterers (1.3 amps each) to an open field about 350' away from the barn.

Ran 14/2 UF wire to 3 waterers inside the barn.
350' away from barn, is #10 wire OK for such a small load (1.3 amps for each waterer - 3 waterers in the field)? or do I need #8?

In the field, need to run to 3 separate wateres, so I think I need a subpanel out in the field...
How do I install the subpanel in an outdoor setting & what materials do I need?
If #10 wire is ok, I need 10/3 UF to run from the main panel to the subpanel - correct? Also, does the entire run need to be in conduit?
What size conduit if needed?
Is 18" deep enough?

What size breaker at the main panel?
What size breaker at the subpanel?--> only need to run 3 waterers (1.7 amps each) and maybe two separate circuits of outdoor receptacles...

What else is needed here? type of outdoor subpanel, grounding rods, etc...????

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why do you want a subpanel? 1.3x3 = 3.9A which is not nearly enough to need to worry about a subpanel. If all we are talking about here is the three waterers save the $ you would spend on a outdoor rated subpanel, ground rods, etc and just run 12 gauge to the three waterers and use a 15amp breaker. (I'm assuming these things are just something you could plug into a standard outlet). There will be a voltage drop, but not enough to matter on such a small load assuming you have 120V at the barn with the same live load connected.

If you are concerned you may be using these outlets for something else in the future you should pull #10 and use a 20amp breaker. That will bring the voltage within more tolerable limits at full circuit load.

Use 3/4 inch conduit with THHN stranded wire (not UF) and 18"depth for the conduit is good.

-rick

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Poor ole horses will not drink out to those damn things unless there is a bonding grid installed to keep them from getting bit when they drink.

I used those pieces of junk for about a week before throwing then in the dumpster. Went with a float and valve type of setup such as used in the toilet.

hagler

Reaction score
Why do you want a subpanel? 1.3x3 = 3.9A which is not nearly enough to need to worry about a subpanel. If all we are talking about here is the three waterers save the $ you would spend on a outdoor rated subpanel, ground rods, etc and just run 12 gauge to the three waterers and use a 15amp breaker. (I'm assuming these things are just something you could plug into a standard outlet). There will be a voltage drop, but not enough to matter on such a small load assuming you have 120V at the barn with the same live load connected.

If you are concerned you may be using these outlets for something else in the future you should pull #10 and use a 20amp breaker. That will bring the voltage within more tolerable limits at full circuit load.

Use 3/4 inch conduit with THHN stranded wire (not UF) and 18"depth for the conduit is good.

-rick

My fault for not explaining better....after the 350' run I need to go in both directions another 300' or so to connect to 2 other waterers in the field.
Also, these are direct wired waterers, they do not plug in to outlets. I thought of just having outlets in case I needed a light or something out there with a small load.
If branching out like this in both directions another 300', does a subpanel make sense? Please advise. Thank you.

BTW....what is the correct way to size wire for runs like this? I've read that you drop a size for about every 150' or so --> 14 ga initially would drop to 10 ga at 300' .... something like that...is that correct?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks