Gas line for outside grill

Users who are viewing this thread

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Tired of running out of propane while cooking out. Want to convert grill to natural gas. Deciding on way to get gas to area grill will be going.

First way is Tee-ing in at gas meter, running over about 4 feet to a 1/2 shut off then the fittings for quick disconnect onto shut off. MY concern doing it this way is the shutoff for the gas grill line will be accessible only on outside of home. Someone could turn it on and who knows how long gas would be spewing out costing me $$$$$. Has anyone seen it done this way before?

See below for 2nd way.

Attachments

• 100_8324-1.jpg
    100_8324-1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 14,776
Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
2nd way would be by tieing into existing gas line inside and running the 1/2 out thru the siding thru a mounting block in the siding to a shut off.

Doing it this way I would put a shut off on the inside also.

Top photo below is same view as above but with a siding mounting block installed, a short nipple of 1/2 and the outside shutoff.

The bottom picture below is a view in the basement looking outside thru the rim joist

See photos below.

Attachments

• 100_8329.jpg
    100_8329.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 13,299
  • 8329-1.jpg
    8329-1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 22,002
Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You use a quick connect couplers to hook the hose to the gas line. There also should be a manual shutoff valve as a backup and at prevent gas loss should the burner be turned on and not lit. These couplers are very similar to those used on air hoses. If the hose is removed from the coupler, there is no loss of gas. I piped my deck with two such couplers so I can use my grill in different areas if desired. You make no mention of the grill itself, but you should know that a propane grill is not compatible with a natural gas grill. I can't quote the differences, but I believe you would be better of to buy a new natural gas grill than to try to convert the propane.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the grill, a 1/2" line may not be large enough. Remember you must buy the approved manufacturers conversion kit which will include either a new burner or orifices and gas regulator. Propane is more energy dense, and uses a different supply pressure...the grill will overheat if you don't convert properly, or, if the line isn't large enough, may not heat as high. Done right, you shouldn't notice a difference. Done wrong, can be a disaster.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
I will be purchasing a new grill that is set up for natural gas. Are these similar to the quick disconnect couplers:

Attachments

• QDC and hose11.jpg
    QDC and hose11.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 13,527
  • QDC and hose.jpg
    QDC and hose.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 7,822

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Depending on the grill, a 1/2" line may not be large enough. Remember you must buy the approved manufacturers conversion kit which will include either a new burner or orifices and gas regulator.

Like I said above I will be purchasing a grill already setup for natural gas.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
So, where will the BBQ be in relation to all this? I'm not seeing a patio in the pics. Here they would not let me run the gas line more than 10 feet away from the house. Also I think there is a limit to the length of rubber hose you can use.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Looks fine to me. I use those all the time. We run gas lines all over the property and all over the house. I use those quick connects for the gas on a regular basis. Always check with your local gas authority to get the job inspected.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
So you have seen it done like in post#1 where the Tee is installed on the gas line on the outside of the house??

ckl111

Home Builder
Reaction score
If the basement has been finished, I've seen it many times run along the side of the house much like phone and cable wires for the same reason. A licensed gas fitter in your area will know what the rules are regarding materials and shut offs.

It usually looks pretty ugly too run along the side of the house. It must have that fitting at the end though that doesn't allow gas to flow unless the appliance is plugged in.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if 1/2 black pipe is sufficient for a 22 foot run from the gas meter over to the left side of the steps as shown in the photo. There will maybe be 3 elbows involved in the run and the grill I anticipate getting is about 50,000 BTU.

Thanks

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Found this table in the Natl Fuel Gas Code. If I'm interpreting it correct it says that 30 feet of 1/2 black pipe supplies 72 cub feet of natural gas at the criteria in the upper right corner of the table. Since 1 cub foot of natural gas is equal to 1015 BTU, this should be more than sufficient for a 50000 BTU grill.

Am I figuring this correct??

Attachments

• Table 6 1.jpg
    Table 6 1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 3,493

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Each elbow is equivalent to making the pipe longer. Don't remember by how much, but you could end up being close.

Wallskev

Reaction score
Use Tru-Flex and bury it !

I have had external line fed Gas Grills for years. I prefer tru-flex line as it can be buried and is protected with polyproplene coating.

Check it out "Tru-Flex"

The GAS Quick disconnect is excellent. I have a shutoff at the Line connect ( in your case near the meter ) and also one just before the Disconnect.

Good Grilling... Love the "Cue"

Hammerlane

Reaction score
I have had external line fed Gas Grills for years. I prefer tru-flex line as it can be buried and is protected with polyproplene coating.

Check it out "Tru-Flex"

The GAS Quick disconnect is excellent. I have a shutoff at the Line connect ( in your case near the meter ) and also one just before the Disconnect.

So is yours fed from inside the house or from outside like I am considering having it tied in before the 1" enters the house.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Decided to have a plumber buddy help. He suggests taking the 1" apart from the gas meter into the house and cutting in a 1 x 1 x 1/2 Tee to supply the outdoor grill. Plus he has this which makes threading pipe easier.

Attachments

• threader.jpg
    threader.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3,508
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks