aluminum hydroxide

Users who are viewing this thread

ch4man

Reaction score
hey all, im looking for a more detailed explaination as to the dramatic increase in aluminum hydroxide we're seeing in the past few years. this city water treatment people blame the anode and the manufactures want to blame the water treatments that have changed due to EPA regulation changes.

tia,, john

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
hey all, im looking for a more detailed explaination as to the dramatic increase in aluminum hydroxide we're seeing in the past few years. this city water treatment people blame the anode and the manufactures want to blame the water treatments that have changed due to EPA regulation changes.

tia,, john

So what filter company do you work for or sell for? LOL

I haven't noticed an increase of anything but the cost of gasoline.

ch4man

Reaction score
in the last year my company must have drained out enough blue goo to fill a 55 gallon drum. the ka rods are sluffing off.

on a positive note the smelly ones have gone away

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
So there shipping you guys heaters with aluminum anodes......because the magnesium ones are stinking and the aluminum ones are failing quickly. You could experiment with installing both types in the same tank at the same time or just remove them all together and see what happens. It is for sure the water but you cant really make them change it.
You could treat the water before it goes to the water heater.

ch4man

Reaction score
the current thought proccess is to try a ka90 zinc hybrid but we havent had enough time to see how that wil pan out. any thoughts on the ka90 rods??

ps this issue seems to be isolated geographically but the problem areas are growing and this is getting worse.

i work for a hvac company, im not a plumber but we do the warranty service work for the one we sell ( we sub the installed with lics plumbers)

this is costing us a boat load in warranty service $$

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
the current thought proccess is to try a ka90 zinc hybrid but we havent had enough time to see how that wil pan out. any thoughts on the ka90 rods??

ps this issue seems to be isolated geographically but the problem areas are growing and this is getting worse.

i work for a hvac company, im not a plumber but we do the warranty service work for the one we sell ( we sub the installed with lics plumbers)

this is costing us a boat load in warranty service $$

The hybrid anodes may work. It's just a guess on my end. A lab should be able to develop an anode to help you if your hybrid doesn't work. Maybe somthing custom built for your area. No problems here with anodes.

ch4man

Reaction score
thanks BV, but i dont need anodes, that i can get,

what im after is what/why are they failing at such an increasingly rate. what is the water chemistry that causes aluminum hydroxide beyond which AO Smiths bulletin 14 states

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks