Does this meet code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of the other sites I read regularly has this thread http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1179098&posted=1#post1179098 about how the cover was able to be installed on the uneven tiled surface. I was wondering if the gaps between the cover and the tile caused by the unevenness presents a code problem or not. It is an appearance issue, which is why the OP asked the question.

Thoughts? Is this addressed in the electrical codes? How to resolve his issue is another thing, but wondering if it must be done or not.

Reaction score
Ah, the last photo tells the tale. The screw head is accessible.

Two different questions: is it to code, and would an inspector flag it? I'd say no and yes.

There are products that would resolve this as it sits. There are extension rings that would extend the box out to the back of the faceplate, in both metal and plastic, that could be applied here.

What would have been very good but quite expensive would have been to use adjustable boxes. These are great in kitchens or any other place where the depth of the tile and stone to be applied to the walls is unpredictable. After the wall is finished, a few screws are backed off and the box moves out to the right place.

I'd use the extension rings in this application.

It is actually painfully pretentious. There was no reason that the tile setter could not have produced a consistently flush surface in the area around the electrical.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the entire box had been brought forward so IT was flush with the "highest" surface, there would be no problem, but in this case the terminal screw is visible so someone, possibly a child, could slide a metal object into the box and receive a shock.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
406.5 Receptacle Mounting
(F) Exposed Terminals. Receptacles shall be enclosed so
that live wiring terminals are not exposed to contact.

Reaction score
406.5 Receptacle Mounting
(F) Exposed Terminals. Receptacles shall be enclosed so
that live wiring terminals are not exposed to contact.

Well, yeah, if you want to get all technical about it!

Exposed conductors and screws are illegitimate, to be sure.

Bloody tile setter should not have set it like that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Thanks, thought it was a problem, but don't have a code book. I passed the (bad) news on to him.

Reaction score
Jad,

Arlington makes plastic box extenders in one, two, three and four gang. be1, be2, be3, be4.

I am sure that you can find them easily. Nil desperatum, as we say in Rome.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks