Share your opinion on the best shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

morpho

Reaction score
I have a fiberglass shower receptor I am about to instal directly onto a slab floor.
I had a look at the off the shelf PVC drains and was less than impressed.
I'm pretty sure Brass is the way to go.

Is there a preferred technology?
Manufacturer?

I'll be laying the pan onto a bed of mortar so replacing the drain would be a pain in the arse.

Thoughts?

Thanks a million.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Zurn and Watts have an excellent product line. You might start looking there.

You might also check with California Faucets. They ship to Canada and have some killer drains that you don't see everywhere!

JW

Last edited:

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
Hi Morpho, :)

Here I sit thinking you have a plastic shower receptor, but you don't like plastic drains. :)

Plastic drains -- pvc or abs -- are fine. They will not rust and crumble like some of the metal drains. I think it's the grate that you are concerned with. It can be metal while the drain remains plastic.

If you are setting your receptor where there was once a tile shower floor, you'll need to dig down and change the drain. :)

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
This one is really easy to install.

jackrabbit-07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
This one is really easy to install.

Nice link Hackney. I've ordered a few Sioux Chief drains for my clients up here and the three I've inspected are rock solid. Great designs and solidly built. Some of the cheaper versions have not real strength and are made of the cheapest materials.

The Sioux Chief clamping drains have multiple weep hole locations and I love that.

I carry one in my truck and have my tile supplier stocking them now.

I'll look for that drain next.

Do they make a cast iron version of the clamping drain? Here in Vancouver inspectors are not allowing these ABS and PVC drains like Oatley, CanPlas, Schluter and such in our high rise condos. To much of a fire risk I guess.

One of my favorite drains is the "Baby Blue" by Watts. Its a low profile cast iron clamping drain, paired up with a sheet membrane like Noble Seal TS or any approved shower liner you have the start of a great shower renovation.

My favorite shower drain is a linear drain made by ACO. I sell these locally and through out Canada but not to the US anymore. Here is a picture of my most popular selling drain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks