routing ROMEX® cable and ABS pipes in 2x4 framing

Users who are viewing this thread

L

lucy

Hi everybody

I'm putting in a new bathroom in my 2nd floor and have just come to the startling realization the the ROMEX® and the ABS need to coexist in the wall! All of the electrical books act as if there is no plumbing and the plumbing books act as if there isn't electrical wiring to contend with so I'm looking for some advice.

My DWV system for two side by side pedestal lavs is based on a photo that Terry has posted before
https://terrylove.com/images/lav_rough_double_b.jpg
a 1 1/2 fixture cross with a 2 inch drain. In my case, the drain can't go straight down vertically into the floor but instead needs to take a 90 degree bend to the right and slope down the wall about 5 feet before turning down.

The trouble is, with inset medicine cabinets, 2 sconces on either side of the cabinets, 2 sets of switches for the lights and fan and receptacles (GFCI protected) on either side of the lavs I'm not sure how to manage where the paths of the ROMEX®, the ABS and maybe the PEX supply pipes will need to cross!

Can anybody help a handy gal out? I know I will have to put in nail plates to protect, but what concerns should I have about the routing of the the wiring? Can anybody share any rough-in photos showing AFTER the electrical wiring is installed?

Thanks, Lucy

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are using a 2x4 wall, then most plumbers will put the waste and vents toward the back.

This gives the front of the studs for the water lines.

The plumbing always goes in first, sorry electritians, you lose!

The wiring can bend and snake around the plumbing. It's not a problem for them.

billybobcory

Reaction score
In general, not related to this particular bathroom question, but everywhere in new construction, can I share the same holes the pipes and pex are routed through with romex? This way I don't have to drill so many holes for the Romex.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; All of the electrical books act as if there is no plumbing and the plumbing books act as if there isn't electrical wiring to contend with

That is not unusual, because electricians act the same way. I have always said that electricians must take a special class in how to run a 1/2" conduit through a ball park and not leave room for any other trade. But it is amazing what a conduit bender can do to EMT, a torch to PVC, and a Sawzall to everything else.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Plumbers should not be allowed to own or rent a sawzall!

That reminds me of a motel we did in the 50s. The floors were 1 2/8" single layer plywood. We had to cut the "finish" floor to install the plumbing. The joists also had to be headered for the closet bends. The carpenter foreman lived behind my house, although we were not "friends". I asked him to have his men cut the floors and do the headering, because whatever was cut out had to be put back so the tile would fit properly. He told me, "You need the floors cut, then cut them". I replied, "That is not a problem, but after I cut them, your guys will need to do a lot more work to repair the floors". After thinking about it a bit, he decided to do the cutting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks