When is a toilet vent not required?

Users who are viewing this thread

grahamW

Reaction score
Can anyone advise when a toilet vent isn't required in Ontario? I have a small 2 piece bathroom on the mainfloor and the toilet enters a 3" stack directly without a vent. The sink connects to this same stack and has a 1.5" vent.

Thanks.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
It does require a vent.

The stack itself is likely 3" or 4", and I'm guessing nothing ties into it above your 2 piece bathroom?

There are certain distances that must be adhered to, but the stack itself is venting the w/c for you here I imagine.

grahamW

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply dlarrivee! Indeed, the 'stack' is 3" and only contains the toilet with the one sink connection. It directly enters the main sewage line beneath the slab. I have yet to find the sink vent but I suspect it is 1.5".

I was hoping for a 2" vent so I could tie in new basement drain and a laundry tub/drain. It looks like I'll be putting a 2" vent up to the attic after all.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply dlarrivee! Indeed, the 'stack' is 3" and only contains the toilet with the one sink connection. It directly enters the main sewage line beneath the slab. I have yet to find the sink vent but I suspect it is 1.5".

I was hoping for a 2" vent so I could tie in new basement drain and a laundry tub/drain. It looks like I'll be putting a 2" vent up to the attic after all.

You're better off trying to go straight up with your 2" vent than trying to tie into an existing horizontal one anyhow... you need to bore fairly large holes for 2" lines.

grahamW

Reaction score
You're better off trying to go straight up with your 2" vent than trying to tie into an existing horizontal one anyhow... you need to bore fairly large holes for 2" lines.

Thanks, the problem is that it isn't a straight, vertical run to my attic. Will need one major jog as the roof level is split. Oh, and I hate distrubing all that blown insulation up there.

Plumber1979

Certified Plumber
Reaction score
more than likely your sink goes directly into the 3 inch stack. and you dont have to run 2 inch for a vent

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOU do not know venting, so why don't you get a plumber who DOES, and maybe he will install the vent the easy way. IT does NOT require a vent when your local code says it does not, but you have to contact your building department to find out.

Plumber1979

Certified Plumber
Reaction score
YOU do not know venting, so why don't you get a plumber who DOES, and maybe he will install the vent the easy way. IT does NOT require a vent when your local code says it does not, but you have to contact your building department to find out.

that's why he's here, to ask for help. don't be a dick plumber. and IT ALWAYS requires a vent, where did you learn plumbing

MikeON

Reaction score
Toilet can run up to 3m (9.8 feet) horizontally and maximum in changing direction of 225 degree before it needs a vent .
2006 Ontario Code, part 7, sentence 7.5.6.3.(2)

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Toilet can run up to 3m (9.8 feet) horizontally and maximum in changing direction of 225 degree before it needs a vent .
2006 Ontario Code, part 7, sentence 7.5.6.3.(2)

Just to add to this:

The distance between the toilet connection (flange) and vent pipe can also be 1m vertical and 3m horizontal. meaning you can drop 1m on the vertical plane from toilet flange and 3m horizontally before requiring a vent connection

MikeON

Reaction score
Can it add up ? If it runs horizontal only, the maximum distance from the center of 3" elbow (just below the flange) to a vent is 4m ?

Just to add to this:

The distance between the toilet connection (flange) and vent pipe can also be 1m vertical and 3m horizontal. meaning you can drop 1m on the vertical plane from toilet flange and 3m horizontally before requiring a vent connection

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
nope...it will always run vertical.....think of your connection to flange = vertical. that is where you can go up to 1m....you can only go from that vertical to horizontal once...it cannot offset from horizontal to vertical again until after the vent connection

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; IT ALWAYS rewuires a vent, where did you learn plumbing

I learned plumbing under a GOOD code, but a lot of people are working under the IPC, which is an "anything goes" code and therefore I have heard that it does not always require a vent for a toilet. Their thinking, apparently being, that since a toilet is an "S" trap already, a vent would not help it flush any better.

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
nope...it will always run vertical.....think of your connection to flange = vertical. that is where you can go up to 1m....you can only go from that vertical to horizontal once...it cannot offset from horizontal to vertical again until after the vent connection

It can. I queried this with my plumbing professor. He said it could drop 0.5m from the flange, run 3m horizontally and the drop 0.5 vertically before connecting to a vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks