Tips to removing old Tub Faucet / Diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillbo

Reaction score
Hi guys, tub faucet/diverter is original 30 years old Mixit set screw version. I removed the set screw but the faucet is stuck on there pretty good.. I don't want to prying on it for fear of breaking something inside.

Any tips for breaking lose an old faucet? I assume the hard water build up has it stuck on there. Do i need to twist it or just pull straight out?

Thanks fro any suggestions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not know what you mean by "set screw version", but you may have the "long version". If so the temperature lever only rotates half way and there is a "moon shaped" key on the right side holding the cartridge in. It is about 1/4" from the end of the faucet buried in the threads of the retainer cap. If you do not remove the key and "jack" the cartidge out you will break off the front of the faucet.

Phillbo

Reaction score
My bad.. I did tub hardware search and I'm talking about the "spout"... the part that fills the tub and you pull out the little knob and the water diverts to the shower head.

I can get the chrome piece to spin and pull away from the wall about a 1/4 inch but there appears to be plastic inners that will not move.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The screw attaches the plastic liner, and once it is loosened the spout will pull off. Why do you need to remove it? Not because the faucet is dripping, I hope.

Phillbo

Reaction score
I'm replacing it because it's old and corroded and does not divert all the water to the shower head . The problem is I can't get the plastic liner to break free and pull off. I took the screw all the way out, should I leave it in but just loose?

Right now I can spin the spout and it pulls off until it hits the flange on the plastic. Any tricks for breaking the plastic liner lose? I don't want to apply brute force and end up breaking something.

LiquidPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm replacing it because it's old and corroded and does not divert all the water to the shower head . The problem is I can't get the plastic liner to break free and pull off. I took the screw all the way out, should I leave it in but just loose?

Right now I can spin the spout and it pulls off until it hits the flange on the plastic. Any tricks for breaking the plastic liner lose? I don't want to apply brute force and end up breaking something.

Try some heat.. It probably wont help and then youll need to get the big wrench out, and start cranking on that spout til you break it off. Once you break off the metal decorative part of the spout youll be able to see the plastic innards that are stuck in there. you may have to melt it off or saw cut it so it splits off the pipe. If your really really scared, saw cut the metal spout down its length and peel it off. Plumbing work isnt always "delicate".. sometimes ya gotta get rough!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Plumbing work isnt always "delicate".. sometimes ya gotta get rough!

I had a customer ask me, "how come you can get abusive with the parts?" I told her, "because I know who has to fix them if they break".

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Try some heat.. It probably wont help and then youll need to get the big wrench out, and start cranking on that spout til you break it off. Once you break off the metal decorative part of the spout youll be able to see the plastic innards that are stuck in there. you may have to melt it off or saw cut it so it splits off the pipe. If your really really scared, saw cut the metal spout down its length and peel it off. Plumbing work isnt always "delicate".. sometimes ya gotta get rough!

The last version is how I would do the job. Saw the spout and then peel it off. I've found tub spouts piped with soft copper.

Phillbo

Reaction score
I'm sure my house has copper pipes... how far out the spout would the pipe extend? Not sure what kind of saw I could use to cut the spout down it's length .. Maybe a good job for my dremel.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are making this job much too difficult. Possibly, when they tightened the screw they deformed the copper so it is binding inside the plastic piece. Just pull harder while twisting it, assuming you removed the screw and did not just loosen it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks