Shower Drain Size and Code

Users who are viewing this thread

centurion

Reaction score
Have seen many references that a shower drain needs to be 2". Here in NJ they follow 2009 NSPC which in 7.10.4 says "for a shower with single shower head, the waste outlet connection shall be no less than 1-1/2" ". What am I missing?

LiquidPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
The code book is a wonderful thing. On one page it says one thing and on the next page it says something totally different. And just to make it interesting, the inspector will have a 3rd totally different interpretation of the code. Basically, to answer your question, somewhere in the code is an "exception" or a footnote or a comment or a drawing that will inform you that 1 1/2 drain is fine if youre talking about a tub/shower with single shower head.... but a shower stall would require the 2 inch drain.
The code book is not designed to be user friendly. There are codes that plumbers must abide by that are in other trades code books as well. Imagine plumbers having to follow rules that are in the HVAC or electricians code book. it happens everyday. Sometimes its amazing that anything ever gets done..lol

centurion

Reaction score
The code book is a wonderful thing. On one page it says one thing and on the next page it says something totally different. And just to make it interesting, the inspector will have a 3rd totally different interpretation of the code. Basically, to answer your question, somewhere in the code is an "exception" or a footnote or a comment or a drawing that will inform you that 1 1/2 drain is fine if youre talking about a tub/shower with single shower head.... but a shower stall would require the 2 inch drain.
The code book is not designed to be user friendly. There are codes that plumbers must abide by that are in other trades code books as well. Imagine plumbers having to follow rules that are in the HVAC or electricians code book. it happens everyday. Sometimes its amazing that anything ever gets done..lol

Understood. But what I quoted specifically refers to a shower. I will ask the inspector, but unfortunately in our town he is part time and not quickly reachable, so I was trying to see if someone here had any first hand experience in NJ.

LiquidPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Understood. But what I quoted specifically refers to a shower. I will ask the inspector, but unfortunately in our town he is part time and not quickly reachable, so I was trying to see if someone here had any first hand experience in NJ.
Youre not understanding what im saying. you may read something on one page that says you may do something, and then on another page it says you shall not.
You cant take one little reference and assume that its all good. trust me on this, the inspectors know exactly where the you shall not do that section is AFTER you've done it wrong.
Agreed that I dont know NJ codes, but whats the aversion to using a 2 inch trap on a shower? Ive seen 1 1/2 shower drains here done by homeowners and handymen so yes it will work.. but it will work and its done right are 2 different things. In the end if your inspection jurisdiction will allow you to do it, and you really want to do it, then just do it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The codes are written for the 'what if' situations after lots of experience...they sometimes change as new materials and experience dictates. The shower drains all used to be 1.5", and there's a lot of them still out there, working okay. But, they found that some 'what if' situations could be bypassed if it was increased to a 2" pipe, so that's what the new codes generally require. A tub with a shower, is still a tub, and 1.5" works since it has an overflow and a lot more room for water storage before it can overflow a curb and into the room.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Up here in Canada we have smaller water particles that move faster because of the cold! :) So a 1 1/2" PTrap and waste line works well enough.

Personally I prefer 2" lines for the safety and ease of use but I have tested many 1 1/2" shower drain lines over 18 GPM with good results. I have found that once you bridge about 5-8 GPM the water level will rise about a 1/4" above the drain. At 7-10 GPM there is about 1/2" of water above the drain. And 10-15 GPM sees about 5/8" of water above the drain.

A 2" line preforms better of course but even a 2" drain with plenty of water will build up some.

A typical shower head delivers 2.5 GPM at that rate a 1 1/2" drain line can more than handle the water flow.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Have seen many references that a shower drain needs to be 2". Here in NJ they follow 2009 NSPC which in 7.10.4 says "for a shower with single shower head, the waste outlet connection shall be no less than 1-1/2" ". What am I missing?

Your code allows for a 1.5" trap and 1.5" drain for a shower stall with a single showerhead. Rock with it.....perfectly legal.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Up here in Canada we have smaller water particles that move faster because of the cold! :) So a 1 1/2" PTrap and waste line works well enough...

It gets much colder in this part of Canada so the water particles expand as they reach the freezing point. My inspector insisted on 2" lines even though the tub drain's tailpiece is smaller. I wish the wife's soaker tub had a 2" tailpiece to match so she'd stop complaining about it slow draining.

centurion

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that responded. I especially enjoyed the information about water particle size and speed. Seriously, I totally understand that code in minimum and why 2" is preferred. I was just trying to find where in the code it says 2", because the only reference I could find was 1.5". I think we have beat this one up enough. Thanks everyone.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you interpret the code literally, then the shower WILL have a 2" drain outlet, and to use 1 1/2" piping you would have to "reduce the size in the direction of flow" which is NOT permitted.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
If you interpret the code literally, then the shower WILL have a 2" drain outlet, and to use 1 1/2" piping you would have to "reduce the size in the direction of flow" which is NOT permitted.

HJ,I pulled up a copy of their code. It says the drain can be 1.5" for a stand up shower with a single showerhead. You can buy shower drains that have a 1.5" outlets.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
qutoe; You can buy shower drains that have a 1.5" outlets.

What you should say is that they "make" 1 1/2" shower drains, because I have never seen one to purchase it. And, just because you "can do it" does not make it a good idea.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
qutoe; You can buy shower drains that have a 1.5" outlets.

What you should say is that they "make" 1 1/2" shower drains, because I have never seen one to purchase it. And, just because you "can do it" does not make it a good idea.

Say it any way you want,the drains can be purchased by anyone who wants to buy it. The original posters code allows for the installation of 1.5" shower traps and drains for a single head stand up shower.

So his DIY question has been answered.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I've never seen a 1.5" Shower drain.

Most times we set in a 2"-1.5" bushing or go with a 2" piece of pipe and a 2"x1.5" MJ No-Hub fitting.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks