left scratching my head!

Users who are viewing this thread

peter k

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am a DIY home renovator and love the challange of working on my 50yr old home but this time im stumped or more likely out of my league lol...

i recently bought a new washer dryer,front loading high efficiency and decided to renovate the laundry room when i pulled out the old washer i made a scary discovery... the old machine was drained directly into the floor drain (pic below). i know this is nowhere close to correct but it seems to work. my problem is the new machine is too low and wont slide over the PVC. id love to rip it completely apart and have it done correctly but budget and exsisting location makes that a very expensive wish list. i hate the idea of doing a similar setup but may have no option...i need he pipe to be a little lower in the floor...so my question is what can i expect to find if i dig up the area? my home is a slab construction with no basemeant. in the pic below the machine is drained into a floor darin with a cleanout just beside it. i can feel you all cringe as i suggest this but i was thinking if i cut out the tile and a bit of the concrete i may get the pipe to sit low enough...sorry i know its ridiculous but the laundry room was placed in this area many years ago and my options are very limited...any suggestions, critisism or laughter is very welcome

laundry2.jpg

peter k

Reaction score
Hey Lee, That was definetly one of my options. i considered building a small platform. might be the best way to go!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you remove the washer drain, I think you will discover that it is the SECOND cleanout of the pair, NOT a floor drain. That system must have been installed by someone who failed "handyman" school. If it were a floor drain, it would be "double trapped" and would NOT drain.

peter k

Reaction score
Thanks hj, i will be removing it , but im trying to educate myself as much as i can before attempting a fix. wife would kill me if she couldnt do laundry hahah. i certainly respect your experiance... im sure your right!

can you help me understand why there would be two cleanouts so close together?

hmmm never mind i believe the light just came on lol ...allows the snake to travel easier in either direction?!

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I see quite a few problems beyond the "pvc" being in the way.

It's ABS piping by the way.

peter k

Reaction score
unfortunatly i couldnt leave it at a few 2x4's. it would drive me crazy. ill likely build a removable platform to cover the "ABS" and face it to match the cabinets. when the budget allows ill have it addressed properly by a professional.

thanks guys

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If that is a clean-out with the cap off, there is nothing to prevent sewer gas, drain flies, etc, etc, from coming right into your house through the pipe.

I'm amazed that you have not smelled it in the past.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
If that is a clean-out with the cap off, there is nothing to prevent sewer gas, drain flies, etc, etc, from coming right into your house through the pipe.

I'm amazed that you have not smelled it in the past.

He was guessing. From a pic you cant tell if theres a trap under the floor. Even if it was double trapped it would still drain.

If anyone doesn't think it will drain with a double trap........well i'll get my video camera out and show you. Just say the word.

Last edited:

peter k

Reaction score
as pathetic as the setup is, amazingly theres nothing coming in. its sealed up pretty good and i can only assume the trap is doing its job. weve lived here five years and theres been no issue.

peter k

Reaction score
no disrespect to hj but i have a feeling its a drain vs a trap...the house is a small two story home with no basement. there are no other access points anywhere but those two spots. youd have to assume that was a drain..and yes im aware if i leave it covered and get aleak im screwed lol

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
All you need to do is look... if it is a clean out there will be threads for the cap.
If there are no threads and you look down the hole and see standing water, it it trapped.
This isn't rocket science.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sometimes, you "do what you gotta do". If it worked, that is a 'good sign' despite the actual issues. IF there is a trap under the floor, that would be an issue in that double traps will drain slowly. I can't tell for sure how the pipe is connected to that fitting on the floor, but it would be great to be able to look down there and see if there is a trap. ( you would see standing water).

Now...how about a VENT!!!!! What is that white pipe that angles off to the left? Does it go to a sink??

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has caught the mix of ABS and PVC pipe. Someone did point out the black pipe as ABS.

peter k

Reaction score
im not sure anyone cares but its a trap! lol finally got around to looking into it. i hated to do it but with a bit of work i managed to get the pipe dug in low enough.. reworked the piping and added an AAV with all new pipes. i know its not the correct solution but it was my only one. thanks to all for the input and to the site..EXCELLENT place for a little help

cheers everyone!

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
im not sure anyone cares but its a trap! lol finally got around to looking into it. i hated to do it but with a bit of work i managed to get the pipe dug in low enough.. reworked the piping and added an AAV with all new pipes. i know its not the correct solution but it was my only one. thanks to all for the input and to the site..EXCELLENT place for a little help

cheers everyone!

So there was a trap under the floor after all. Thanks for posting that. Thats important info the forum needed to know.....especially one of us.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks