Price for Black Iron Pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
I sent my wife to purchase one stick each of 1/2 and 3/8 Black Iron Pipe from a local retailer.
These were 21 foot length of pipe.
She was charged $27.77 for the 1/2" pipe and $121.13 for the 3/8" pipe.:(
I called to see if a mistake was made and was told that the price for 3/8 pipe was higher because demand was less, and the 1/2" was bought in bulk!!
Does this make sense:confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thus is the way of the world. Why does a 30 gallon water heater cost the same or more than a 40? Same reason.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Why does a 30 gallon water heater cost the same or more than a 40? Same reason.

And a 6 gallon heater could cost more than either of them. NO ONE uses 3/8 pipe anymore, so if he had a stick of it, he probably has had it for years, paying "storage" and losing "interest" on the money he paid for it. But she paid 1992 prices for the 1/2" so you probably did not lose as much as you thought.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ahh yes gentlemen but the real question here is; what in hell is he doing with 3/8" black iron? Last time I used any has to be twenty years or more ago when we were piping commercial gas control lines on process boilers.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why 3/8" is a good question, but I would ask another. Are you attempting to DIY a gas line? If so, bad idea. Hire a pro for gas work.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I sent my wife to purchase one stick each of 1/2 and 3/8 Black Iron Pipe from a local retailer.
These were 21 foot length of pipe.
She was charged $27.77 for the 1/2" pipe and $121.13 for the 3/8" pipe.:(
I called to see if a mistake was made and was told that the price for 3/8 pipe was higher because demand was less, and the 1/2" was bought in bulk!!
Does this make sense:confused:

You got ripped off. Simple as that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; You got ripped off. Simple as that.

When you need something and there is only one guy who has it, he can charge whatever he wants for it, regardless of whether it is a length of 3/8" black pipe, or a carburetor for a 1933 Indian motor cycle.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
quote; You got ripped off. Simple as that.

When you need something and there is only one guy who has it, he can charge whatever he wants for it, regardless of whether it is a length of 3/8" black pipe, or a carburetor for a 1933 Indian motor cycle.

Who said that guy was the only one who had it? You can charge what you want most of the time but when your prices are high,expect to get called a rip off.

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
All the black iron pipe is to be used for special applacation of parts made with a Lathe and a wire welder. Most small lengths will be used as spacers. I have since returned the 3/8 and I purchased solid steel which is close to the same OD but will have to be drilled. The 1/2" can be used by cutting to proper length.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Who said that guy was the only one who had it?

How much 3/8 black steel pipe have YOU seen anywhere, lately? That is why I said he is probably the only one who had it probably had a party when he sold it. He probably wished he had time to put an "under new ownership" sign in the window when he saw it coming back again. We once had a plumber who was cutting hanger rods to suspend a pipe. After a "long" time he asked where we got the hollow rod. He was cutting our 1/4" black steel control pipe instead of the solid rod.

Last edited:

DIYPlumber90

Reaction score
quote; Why does a 30 gallon water heater cost the same or more than a 40? Same reason.

And a 6 gallon heater could cost more than either of them. NO ONE uses 3/8 pipe anymore, so if he had a stick of it, he probably has had it for years, paying "storage" and losing "interest" on the money he paid for it. But she paid 1992 prices for the 1/2" so you probably did not lose as much as you thought.

Yeah in reality there was a give and take in that.. But either way sorry for hearing such steep prices.. I really wish inflated prices were adjusted to our salaries!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks