Afci circuit with gfi extension cord?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Hi! I have rewired my enitire 800 sq. ft. cottage to code. Interior non-GFI protected circuits are wired on breaker AFCI's (non bathroom, kitchen, laundry, exterior circuits). I am thinking that when I use hi amp power tools I could benefit from connecting to an AFCI protected circuit, when using them with a GFI protected extension cord. Make sense? Thanks.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
High-amp power tools are notorious for causing nuisance trips on GFCI devices. If you use 'em, be prepared
to push the reset button every two minutes.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm not sure I see any need for having such protection, but there is nothing wrong doing it, and it will work.

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Guess the GFCI makes sense, but are you saying that the AFCI usage is in question? I did not mention that the wires for the AFCI are not new, and I am concerned that until I get the chance to take down walls to expose them and put in new romex, they could overheat, arc.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You said you did things to code, so, that means that you didn't put heavier gauge receptacles or other things on wire that was too small. There should be nothing to overheat. The only time you might overheat wiring is with bad connections, or using too small wire for the protection (i.e., circuit breaker).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Circuit breakers are sized to protect the wire. If the wire overheats you used the wrong circuit breaker for it and it SHOULD be changed until the wire is upgraded.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You can use heavier wire than the minimum, but you can never use wire that is smaller than the minimum for the protection device, the circuit breaker (as long as you stay within the range of acceptable wire for the device- i.e., it has to be able to fit in the clamp or screw). As long as you do that, there should never be any overheating...the protection device would trip first.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
High-amp power tools are notorious for causing nuisance trips on GFCI devices. If you use 'em, be prepared
to push the reset button every two minutes.
What power tools? How many Amps? I can't imagine any power tool that plugs in to a 120V recpt that would draw more Amps than a hot tub and they are all GFCI protected.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I'm guessing here, but I would guess a brush type motor where the brushes are getting old (and maybe not!) might give an AFCI a workout. If you've ever looking through the cooling vents, it's likely you could see all sorts of sparks occuring. It probably wouldn't unbalance a GFCI, but might an AFCI. Don't have any AFCI in my (older) place, so can't experiment without costs, and I'm not up for that at the moment.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I have had no trouble with motors in power tools tripping an AFCI. I have had problems with electronics making them trip, more specifically tools that have a soft start.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks