Please look at my washing machine/utility sink drain setup...need advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hammerlane

Reaction score
MT,

I think I understand the logic of why the latest version will work, as you say it will, but I'm curious about your statement that some of the fittings are 'backwards'. For the life of me, I can't spot one that is backwards. For the purposes of ongoing education, can you indicate which? Thanks in advance!

Not so much backwards but inverted. Like Dave said its the San-T that ties in the horizontal vent(which is the reason the San-T is inverted)...circled in yellow in the photo.

Attachments

• wtwertwert.jpg
    wtwertwert.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,646

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score
question

Hammerlane,

I've been under the impression that san t's are inverted if they are venting something. I don't know the reason for this, but that's what I always thought. Is this incorrect? Also, if the vertical pipe at the right of the picture is in fact a wet vent, does that dictate the direction of the san t inlet? Thanks again!

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Hammerlane,

I've been under the impression that san t's are inverted if they are venting something. I don't know the reason for this, but that's what I always thought. Is this incorrect? Also, if the vertical pipe at the right of the picture is in fact a wet vent, does that dictate the direction of the san t inlet? Thanks again!

It's assumed that the piping above the inverted San-T is venting only. The inversion of the San-T is because think of the way the air would be drawn down. That inversion just helps the flow because of the radius on the San-T. The smoothest way for air to go down that line is if the tee is upside down.

If that is not venting only above that inverted San-T, I believe it is improper wet-venting because you cannot wet vent fixtures on different floors of the house.

I'm far from a plumbing expert but maybe one of the licensed plumbers can chime in and verify my statements.

Last edited:

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Heh, wow. I didn't mean to cause some confusion here... i was simply referring to the pictures of fittings inserted into the image being backwards... the top left vent tee is sweeping the wrong way, as is the bottom left one. I also assumed that the poster knew this, and just didn't feel like inverting the images to make them in the correct orientation.

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score
MT,

Yes, I believe I see what you're referring to. Always learning! Thank you!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In the diagram he wrote in "VENT TEE FOR STANDPIPE VENT". A vent tee is a vent tee, it is not the same as a sanitary tee, which appears to be what is actually being pointed to.

Here, we cannot use a tee as a vent take-off, we must use a combo. Some inspectors might let it slide, but all inspectors will accept the combo, so why take the chance.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Dave did you make any changes from the setup pictured in post #31 due to the fact you have fixtures draining into the vent from a different floor?

If not how is the setup working?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The fittings as they were placed were correct on post 31.

The vent on the horizontal section needed to be a combo, or a wye fitting. A santee can only be used on the vertical for venting. It seems some non-plumbers are giving input on things they know nothing about and confusing things.

However I did notice on post 31 that the washer drain looks to be 1.5" instead of 2"
All the waste piping there should be 2.0" and only the vents and the trap arm for the sink can be 1.5"

A washer is 2.0" with 1.5" vent
A laundry sink is 2" with 1.5" vent and 1.5" trap arm.

And of course, you can always use larger vents if needed.
In IPC, they may require 3.0" after the vent on the washer on the waste side for suds control.

Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
The fittings as they were placed were correct on post 31.

The vent on the horizontal section needed to be a combo, or a wye fitting. A santee can only be used on the vertical for venting. It seems some non-plumbers are giving input on things they know nothing about and confusing things.

You say the fittings are correct but then in your next sentence you start out saying "The vent on the horizontal section needed to be a combo, or a wye fitting". I reinserted the photo and numbered the fittings.

The only horizontal vent section would be between fittings 4 and 5.

1.Are you suggesting something is incorrect there?

2. Also am I correct in understanding that above fitting #5, there can be no other fixtures draining into that stack to have that vent setup be proper?

Thanks

Attachments

• Dave88LX%20from%20terry%20forum%202.jpg
    Dave88LX%20from%20terry%20forum%202.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 4,635

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was saying the vent fitting "needed" to be the fitting you used, a combo. You have the right fitting there on it's back.

The other post was implying that it should have been a "santee" on it's back.

Is the washer drain done in 2"? or 1-1/2"?

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Is the washer drain done in 2"? or 1-1/2"?

This is not my setup. It is Dave88LX but I saved the photo because it looked like a good correct setup.

I went back and read and including the washer standpipe to fitting #2 is all 2".

Also Terry real quick can you address my other question which was:

--Am I correct in understanding that above fitting #5, there can be no other fixtures from a different floor draining into that stack to have that vent setup be proper?

Attachments

• Dave88LX%20from%20terry%20forum%202.jpg
    Dave88LX%20from%20terry%20forum%202.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,339

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Above five is a vent.
No waste or water should be running down that stack.

Any waste from above, would need to tie in below the lower fixture, pretty much at the floor level.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Above five is a vent.
No waste or water should be running down that stack.

Any waste from above, would need to tie in below the lower fixture, pretty much at the floor level.

OK thanks for the info....its getting close to 5 o'clock somewhere.

Jason Martin

Reaction score
terry forum revised httpwww.terrylove.comforumsshowthread.php44657-Please-look-at-my-washing-mac.jpg
What if Dave wanted or needed to have both washer standpipe and laundry sink drain on the same branch drain. And assume he had vent only above the stack. Would the following work?
Hello Men ! I am looking to do a set up like this version , with the stub out for the sink being low enough . What would the proper fittings be then ? Also the vent pipe at right is a wet one . Thanks for your help . Jason

Hammerlane

Reaction score
This was a pretty good thread on washing machine standpipe/laundry tub setup. Did you read the entire thread? The photo below is a correct way, provided above fitting #5, there are no other fixtures from above floors draining into the stack.

When you ask "What would the proper fittings be then ?" The answer is see one of the diagrams.

Maybe start a new thread with your question.

Attachments

• Dave88LX%2520from%2520terry%2520forum%25202.jpg
    Dave88LX%2520from%2520terry%2520forum%25202.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,791

Dave88LX

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Whoa...interesting to see that this thread was still being discussed! Well, the changes didn't achieve what I hoped they would, which was to drain faster. I have a utility sink attached to #7 in the image above, and that backfills while the washer drains. I don't know if that is normal or not. I don't know if I have any blockage below the floor or not. I have another thread coming up where I have a bunch of questions....bleh.

Amazing to see this the 9th most viewed thread in this forum, almost 12,000 views...holy cow.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
I don't know if I have any blockage below the floor or not.

Most likely you do. Does the utility sink drain slow? Probably wouldnt hurt to utilize the cleanout on the wye(fitting #6) and run a snake. A shame to do this work and still have backup in the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks