Below Grade Sink/Toilet Education Please..

Users who are viewing this thread

Greatwhitewing

Reaction score
I am considering a sink below grade so I will need a pump. I want to be able to put flushable cat litter through if it's all possible. I assume I need a toilet grade pump for this task. I would like advice on this potential project please.

I plan to put a standard laundry type free standing sink.

I have a washing machine very close by. Can I use THAT drain?I can also get my hot/cold water nearby. Washing machine is about 4 feet from the stack with it's drain inside a wall which isn't a problem.

This sink would also be right next to the stack and only need about 3 feet of pump head at the most.

Thanks for your help and advice

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"Flushable" usually just means that it will stay with the water as it flows through the pipes. In a pump pit, it will fall to the bottom and gradually build up until it clogs the pump's inlet. Unless you use a "toilet grade ejector" pump, which is expensive to buy and install, your pump installation will probably be unsatisfactory.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Is the building drain to the city sewer above the basement floor or below it?
If it is below, you may not need a pumped system at all.

Greatwhitewing

Reaction score
If it were below the floor I wouldn't need a pump :D. The stack output to the street is about 1.5 above floor level but to get into the stack I need about 3 feet of rise.

Is the building drain to the city sewer above the basement floor or below it?
If it is below, you may not need a pumped system at all.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The reason I asked is because you said there is an existing washer. If the sewer line is above the floor, then it is very likely that the washer drain connection does not meet code either.

I don't care what kind of pump it is, I would never put cat litter in it. Not unless I enjoyed cleaning out the basin and replacing the pump on a regular basis.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If all you are installing is a sink, consider a compact unit like the Liberty 404. If you put the sink right next to the washer, you would also have the option of draining the washer into the sink, which would then be pumped to the main line.

With any basin/pump system, you will need to have a vent that goes through the roof. The existing vertical stack is a drain, and cannot be used as a vent from the basement.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...+404&op=search&Ntt=liberty+404&N=0&sst=subset

Greatwhitewing

Reaction score
I don't understand your venting comment. the washing machine drains into the stack and it's all vented through the roof.

Please expound on what you mean? Or why my stack that is already vented isn't enough.

If all you are installing is a sink, consider a compact unit like the Liberty 404. If you put the sink right next to the washer, you would also have the option of draining the washer into the sink, which would then be pumped to the main line.

With any basin/pump system, you will need to have a vent that goes through the roof. The existing vertical stack is a drain, and cannot be used as a vent from the basement.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...+404&op=search&Ntt=liberty+404&N=0&sst=subset

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the pipe has anything draining into it from above, it is a drain pipe, not a vent.

It is only considered a vent at points above the highest connected fixture.

This is one of the reasons I mentioned that your current washer connection probably does not meet code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks