Water Brown / rusty color no smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
From this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?45071-Well-system-I-am-inheriting-with-house , you will see the legacy system I inherited with this house I bought. The house sat unoccupied for about 18-19 months. It has the original galvanized pipes and most of the plumbing system, there are some pipes that are copper. The water, when it is collected in a sink (white cast iron), toilet bowl or bucket is brown / rusty in color. Also the water pressure is low. What is causing this brown /rusty water and what is causing the water pressure to be low?

I plan to replace the pump and tank (maybe) but it is not in the cash budget this month.

Thanks, Pat

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You should have the water tested to find out what is in it.

The color is probably iron, which can come from the water, the well casing, and/or the piping.
It will often precipitate out of the water in the tank, and will slowly filling the bottom of the tank with iron/rust.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
From this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?45071-Well-system-I-am-inheriting-with-house , you will see the legacy system I inherited with this house I bought. The house sat unoccupied for about 18-19 months. It has the original galvanized pipes and most of the plumbing system, there are some pipes that are copper. The water, when it is collected in a sink (white cast iron), toilet bowl or bucket is brown / rusty in color. Also the water pressure is low. What is causing this brown /rusty water and what is causing the water pressure to be low?

I plan to replace the pump and tank (maybe) but it is not in the cash budget this month.

Thanks, Pat

You may want to kill the power to your pump, then drain the tank, then start the pump with the bottom drain left open until clear water comes out.

That will also put the needed air back into your tank.

That may get you by until you can afford to replace it.

The Joys of being a homeowner...

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
You may want to kill the power to your pump, then drain the tank, then start the pump with the bottom drain left open until clear water comes out.

That will also put the needed air back into your tank.

That may get you by until you can afford to replace it.

The Joys of being a homeowner...

If I do this will I lose the prime to my pump? I have figured out that the only low pressure is to the kitchen faucet; the other water fixture (bathtub, bathroom sink, shower in the basement) have strong water flow.

DonL

Reaction score
Yes you could lose prime. Have a few gallons on hand just in case.

The AVC is the air volume control, and if it is not leaking then just draining the tank May buy you 2-3 months even if it is Bad.

The AVC is the round thing on the side of the tank.

Last edited:

Pitterpat

HandyWOMAN
Reaction score
Yes you could lose prime. Have a few gallons on hand just in case.

The AVC is the air volume control, and if it is not leaking then just draining the tank should buy you 2-3 months even if it is Bad.

The AVC is the round thing on the side of the tank.

What is the likelyhood of losing prime? The AVC does not leak. Not sure at this point I want to drain if I could lose prime...I know very little about well systems and if it is now killing me I will leave it for a month or 2. I know that it is rust because it leaves a rust colored stain if a puddle is allowed to sit.

DonL

Reaction score
It looks like the way it is Plumed it is not likely to loose prime.

If it does You just remove the pressure gauge and refill it with water.

Should be no problem for a Handy Woman.

The bottom of the tank is probably holding a lot of iron.

Once flushed the water should clear up.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you have not had the water tested, that should have been the FIRST thing one your list.

Until is has been tested you should not assume that is even safe to drink.

DonL

Reaction score
If you have not had the water tested, that should have been the FIRST thing one your list.

Until is has been tested you should not assume that is even safe to drink.

Not a bad idea, If you will be cooking with or drinking the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks