Proper fitting needed, toilet sits ontop of stack, short distance to septic

Users who are viewing this thread

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
OK, I thought I had this figured out but I wanted some guidance just incase. This house is from the '50s and had a bunch of things wrong with it, so I am redoing most everything in the house. My question is about the proper fitting required to connect the toilet to the stack. The toilet sits directly ontop of the stack. I also need to install (2) 22.5 degree offsets in this line because the toilet was too close to the wall. There is a short distance for just one fitting here and I have (will have) lines draining from both sides into this septic hang in my basement. I Thought it was ok to use a wye here, since there was one before.

I thought it may be ok to use a double wye here for the new install but not sure if I should use that, or a sanitary cross. On the right side of the wye I will be draining the sink and the shower. The shower will be 2" drain and will be wet vented through the sink about 5' away. the left side of the wye I need a kitchen sink and laundry to drain into. I had planned to run 3" down the length of the wall and pick up the kitchen and laundry there. I (think) I know how to tie that stuff in. If that won't work, I think I could also use the left side of the wye and cap it for a cleanout and use the existing cleanout and turn it to pickup the kitchen and laundry.

I was thinking the vent couldn't be "flat" so i didn't think I could use a sanitary cross, but I am not sure.

These pics show before with the cast iron and some pvc there just to give me some ideas. THanks :)

chad-01.jpg

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 564
Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; This house is from the '50s and had a bunch of things wrong with it, so I am redoing most everything in the house.

Who is checking to make sure that YOU are doing it correctly? That street elbow into the "Y" is NOT the correct fitting for that location. Until you install more piping we cannot tell whether the rest of it will be proper or not. I am not sure what that statement after "if that will not work" means.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
the vent is going to be off the right hand side wye once it turns up to head up the bathroom wall it goes out to the roof. i already have that portion installed with 2" and it exits the roof jack at 3"
there was no dedicated vent i think because there was no room to install one. If i can, i will put one in there if what was there won't be acceptable.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
quote; This house is from the '50s and had a bunch of things wrong with it, so I am redoing most everything in the house.

Who is checking to make sure that YOU are doing it correctly? That street elbow into the "Y" is NOT the correct fitting for that location. Until you install more piping we cannot tell whether the rest of it will be proper or not. I am not sure what that statement after "if that will not work" means.

i just put those fittings there to give myself an idea how things would line up. nothing is set.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
"am not sure what that statement after "if that will not work" means. "

instead of using a single wye, i would like to use a double wye. can i use a double wye in that location to pick up the kitchen and laundry coming in from the left side? i thought you needed a sanitary cross if you were going from horizontal to vertical, but if i use one won't that make my vent on the right improper because it will be flat for a portion until it turns up to go up the bathroom wall?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A sanitary tee or cross is ONLY required when the line connected to it does NOT have its own vent, and the line it is connecting to IS the vent for it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks