Why is my fill tube diverted to flow under the foundation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Another Project

Reaction score
We moved into a 1980 built house and trying to figure our the purpose of this toilet setup.

The main floor bathroom has a T-connector on the fill tube, the line going into the overflow is dry, but the other line leads out the tank follows the water supply line to the basement then into another hose which is embedded into the foundation.

Any idea what this is supposed to do? Does it need to remain connected?
(Possible additional information or red herring is the previous owner installed a basement bathroom below the main floor one but I don't see any connection to this tube).

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with lee that the only thing that makes sense is a trap primer. Is there a floor drain in the room??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Also note that if you tried that on most new toilets, they wouldn't flush properly...that tube is what refills the bowl, and it won't flush properly when it isn't full to start with. Older ones tended to overfill the bowl anyway, so it may not have been an issue.

Another Project

Reaction score
I agree with lee that the only thing that makes sense is a trap primer. Is there a floor drain in the room??

There's no floor drain in the main floor bathroom. There is a basement floor drain but its about 20 feet from where the hose goes into the cement floor.

I replaced the toilet on the weekend but I'll leave the hose lying around for a few weeks to see if we get any sewer gas smells. If none, I'll pull it out and hope for the best.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; There is a basement floor drain but its about 20 feet from where the hose goes into the cement floor.

There is nothing that says the "hose" cannot travel 20' to that floor drain, and in fact that is probably WHERE it does end up. But it does sound like a "Mickey Mouse" way to accomplish keeping the trap full of water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks