Dorli Rainey becomes unlikely face of the Occupy movement

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm pretty sure that the Dorli Rainey in the new now, was my real estate agent when I was building homes.
I met here while I was developing four lots in the Crossroads area of Bellevue. Her some backed up to my property.
How fun to see her in the news, she was always full of fire.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...mes-unlikely-face-of-the-Occupy-movement.html

The occupy movement is gaining traction with people. Especially those that are worried about how they are being handled by the banks. When I was in the air this week, reading articles on the plane, I was reading about South Dakota and how much of the credit card business has moved there because the State of South Dakota now allows the banks to charge much higher interest rates. Like somehow this was a good thing for consumers?
Remember when credit card interest was 12% and not 27.9%

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the Dorli Rainey in the new now, was my real estate agent when I was building homes.
I met here while I was developing four lots in the Crossroads area of Bellevue. Her some backed up to my property.
How fun to see her in the news, she was always full of fire.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...mes-unlikely-face-of-the-Occupy-movement.html

The occupy movement is gaining traction with people. Especially those that are worried about how they are being handled by the banks. When I was in the air this week, reading articles on the plane, I was reading about South Dakota and how much of the credit card business has moved there because the State of South Dakota now allows the banks to charge much higher interest rates. Like somehow this was a good thing for consumers?
Remember when credit card interest was 12% and not 27.9%

I remember when loan sharks charged less interest than the banks do now.

Pipehacker

Reaction score
I agree with BobL. This is also an area where the "rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer." It seems to me that it used to be that everyone paid the same 12% interest. Now if you have good credit you can get a 4 or 5% credit card but if you don't you have to go to a ****** loan place and pay the equivalent of 40%. Also, the first TV I bought was something like 35 years ago and I paid $450 for a 19 inch color RCA, which took me months to pay off at the $3.15 per hour I made washing dishes. Now a 32 inch TV is less than $300, for those who have the cash. But if you don't, its high interest which will eat up much of the cost savings.

For people who work I am in favor of a higher minimum wage and a federal health insurance program.

Maybe this is because I'm getting soft in my old age. Or maybe it's because I stayed up late last night watching Michael Moore's "Capitalism, a Love Story."

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The occupiers have completely missed the point. They are barking up the wrong tree. They are hurting their beloved 99%. The folks in Egypt or Syria or Libya have to protest in the square because they have no other way to affect who they are governed by. HERE, it is simple..vote them out. At any one of these cities, the number of protestors is significant enough to affect the results of a local election. Put all the cities together, you can affect a congressman or a president! My guess is if you go through the crowd and ask ANY of them if they have EVER voted, all you will get is blank stares, if they can wake up from their pot-induced slumber long enough to say anything.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I get daily credit card checks with a 3% fee and 12 to 15 months no interest, works out to about 3.5 to 4% interest. Looks like a gift to me, and if you do it on the phone, the interest bumps to only 12% if your foolish enough not to pay it off.

Also, bought a new Jeep at 2.25% interest, less than 1938 loans. Perhaps 1838.

That same company threw in a credit card - interest 0% for 22 months. Thats a real gift

My primary home lender just recast my home loan to 4.25% WITHOUT my request and using congresses HARP program - NO fees, docs, appraisal or tax forms. Saving 300$ a month for 20 minutes on the phone. Absolutely incredible - my first gift from a bank or the government.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I get daily credit card checks with a 3% fee and 12 to 15 months no interest, works out to about 3.5 to 4% interest. Looks like a gift to me, and if you do it on the phone, the interest bumps to only 12% if your foolish enough not to pay it off.

Also, bought a new Jeep at 2.25% interest, less than 1938 loans. Perhaps 1838.

That same company threw in a credit card - interest 0% for 22 months. Thats a real gift

My primary home lender just recast my home loan to 4.25% WITHOUT my request and using congresses HARP program - NO fees, docs, appraisal or tax forms. Saving 300$ a month for 20 minutes on the phone. Absolutely incredible - my first gift from a bank or the government.
Just shredded up a bunch of those checks. The fine print said if your use them for a purchase or cash advance, you have no charge back benefit if the seller you buy something from gives you a hard time if you have a problem with the purchase. When you use the credit card itself for a purchase, you get that benefit. My last new vehicle purhase gave me the option of 0% financing or $3200 cash back. I took the cashback because if I took the free financing and sold the truck after 1 or 2 years, I would have lost that 3,200. I got a 4.4% loan. I pay no mortgage interest, cause I have no mortgage any more. Credit card rates? I never carry any balance, but the protection the cards offer is good.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I use them only if I need to transfer a balance and preserve the cash for some project. When you transfer a balance, the protection of the purchase is preserved on the original cards, as it is only a straight payment to them.

I think you would carry a balance if the interest is 0 for 22 months!

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I use them only if I need to transfer a balance and preserve the cash for some project. When you transfer a balance, the protection of the purchase is preserved on the original cards, as it is only a straight payment to them.

I think you would carry a balance if the interest is 0 for 22 months!

Ballvalve, I have in the PAST, made major purchases that i took out those deals, but now, I am afraid I would forget to pay it on time at the last month and have to pay all the finance charges from day one; that's exactly what they they want you to do:) When I was younger, I was able to do more things more quickly, and remember everything. Nowadays, not so much. I just spent 3 days sorting out 1200 marble tiles and culling out the not so good ones, Now I have to wash them all before I install them on the walls In my youth, that would have been no bicg deal, but now? I can still do everything, just not so well or fast anymore.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I think sears was good for those backwards finance charges - you are right, that required a great calendar and secretary. But I have not seen that corruption for quite awhile. All the ones I speak of start finance charges only at the end of the period, so your worst hit is a month of 12% if you goof up. Which they depend on to make a profit.

And my marbles need more time to sort these days too.

As to the car loans, it takes a good calculator and knowledge of your future plans to sort out the salesmans voo-doo. The book I am reading now from 1858 gave mortage rates in California and Oregon at 2.5 to 4%.

Jean Perlot, "Goldseeker" , translation of a lost , self published manuscript found in 1985, in french, in the Bancroft library. One of the best reads ever on the goldrush. He wrote it just before his death for his family, and the only known copy [as determined now] was bought in a bookstore by a french diplomat that luckily recognized its value and donated it to the Bancroft in 1958. A French librarian there, in the 80's, chose it for disposal, as the title bore no relation to california history. But a bit of reading made the translation the remainer of her lifes work.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think sears was good for those backwards finance charges - you are right, that required a great calendar and secretary. But I have not seen that corruption for quite awhile. All the ones I speak of start finance charges only at the end of the period, so your worst hit is a month of 12% if you goof up. Which they depend on to make a profit.

And my marbles need more time to sort these days too.

As to the car loans, it takes a good calculator and knowledge of your future plans to sort out the salesmans voo-doo. The book I am reading now from 1858 gave mortage rates in California and Oregon at 2.5 to 4%.

Jean Perlot, "Goldseeker" , translation of a lost , self published manuscript found in 1985, in french, in the Bancroft library. One of the best reads ever on the goldrush. He wrote it just before his death for his family, and the only known copy [as determined now] was bought in a bookstore by a french diplomat that luckily recognized its value and donated it to the Bancroft in 1958. A French librarian there, in the 80's, chose it for disposal, as the title bore no relation to california history. But a bit of reading made the translation the remainer of her lifes work.
I used to use bankrate.com, where they have/had calculators that figure out which car deal is better, the cash back or low/free financing. Very easy to use.

You've seen the Discover Card Peggy commercials on TV I'm sure. They make fun of other banks not allowing you to use your accrued points. I have a discover card, and they always used to let you redeem the cashback dollars above 20 bucks, either by a credit back to your Discover Card, or even a check in the mail. NOW, despite their commercials, THEY, don't allow that anymore! Over 20 bucks, you need to get a gift card for online purchases from one of their partners, like Bed Bath and Beyon, and others. Over 50 bucks credit, you can get the cash credited back to your account. That means you have to spend 5grand or more on their card to get what they make fun of. I have a Costco AMEX card that once a year automatically sends me a check every year (normally over 50 to 75 bucks) that I can spend in Costco, and if you are a member of any of the clubs, you know 50 or 75 bucks is pretty easy to spend there. Its always been that way with my AMEX card. I have other cards that have the 50 dollar minimum too, but I'm going to stop using those.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
If you shop amazonia, their card lets you use points instantly at each purchase. But yes, its a sad world of cards whimsically changing rules.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks