Irrigation layout questions

Users who are viewing this thread

stupid48

Reaction score
I have a curbed in area that I'm going to put sod in. It is a rectangle 15 1/4 feet by 5 1/2 feet. I went into Star Nursery to get their input. The suggested installing 8 nozzles total. Four in the corners and two on each of the long sides and adjust them to about 5 feet of spray. To me that seems like overkill. Can anyone give me an idea of what they think for layout? I suppose I'll be using rainbird nozzles...

Thanks for any advice...

Chris

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That only adds up to 6
My areas between sidewalk and street are the same, I use one 15SST at curb pointed back forwards sidewalk.
4 areas, 4 heads, 60 psi, 15-20 minutes, no problem

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
God never intended grass to be planted in 5 X 15 rectangles, so that is a difficult area to water! I agree with the nursery. To minimize sidewalk spray and runoff, put 90º 5' nozzles in each corner, and two ½(5') on each side....total of eight. That will give you coverage and minimal overspray

stupid48

Reaction score
I had another recommendation of using one 15' strip nozzle in the middle of each end and one 9' strip nozzle in the middle of each long end for a total of four. That seems like a pretty good option as well..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Rainbird SQ ( square) nozzles will water a 5x5, (to 6x6, depending on the pressure), square area, so three of them, properly spaced, will water the whole area with minimal "overspray".

CornerWrench

Reaction score
Website
www.remotepigtails.com
I had another recommendation of using one 15' strip nozzle in the middle of each end and one 9' strip nozzle in the middle of each long end for a total of four. That seems like a pretty good option as well..
Hey folks. I'm new here and irrigation was my profession so I'll probably hang out here more so than the other forums.

Strips is what i did as well. Back when brass nozzles were readily available you could bet a 5' flat brass half and triangular space and get beautiful coverage. After they got too pricey and rare I switched to strips after experimenting with various other options. My decision was based more so on less water waste than perfect coverage. I also would advise putting that strip section on its own zone since it tends to be the hottest and driest area due to all the concrete. I found that the Irritrol ES and CS gave the widest pattern so I used those on my RB 1804s.

Tbone77

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.hunterindustries.com
Probably the most efficient would be MP Rotators. They make side strips can reach 6x16 if you have above 40 psi. They also have left and right corner strips that are like a half a side strip that throw from either the left or right hand sides and are a much better solution than the end strips in my opinion.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Kind of an old thread so not sure the OP is still watching.

I didn't know there were MP Rotator strip nozzles. I agree- that would be my first choice. I have replaced all the spray heads in my yard with MP Rotators. Nice to have slower water delivery, less susceptible to wind and runoff, and look purty too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks