Question about sewer cleanout pipe cover

Users who are viewing this thread

LBrandt

Reaction score
Hello,

My neighbor, who is in his 80’s, has a pvc sewer cleanout pipe in his front yard, but the cover is missing, and he doesn’t know what happened to it. The cover is supposed to screw into the top of the cleanout pipe. I’ve tried to help him find a replacement, but even though we’ve been to several plumbing supply shops, we haven’t been able to find one that fits. He wants one that sits at ground level, so that his mower won't damage it.

Everyone that we talk to says that the cleanout pipe is normally a 4 inch pipe, but when we measure the threads at the top of his, we get about 4 5/8 diameter thread to thread. The ones that we’ve bought and had to return are about 4 1/2 inches across (thread to thread), and they just won’t fit.

His house is about 38 years old, but I assumed that the sewer cleanout pipe was of a standard size.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Louis

JLM34

Reaction score
Sounds odd to have that much trouble finding a plug. If all else fails, dig out around the pipe, take a hacksaw and cut down below the whole top section (the fitting with the cap) until you have just the 3 or 4 inch pipe sticking up, then go buy you a whole new cleanout adapter and plug. Shouldn't cost but $5. I would advise against putting it at ground level, but it's his yard. The ones at ground level tend to get covered up over the years somehow and then the next homeowner is going around cursing trying to find a cleanout. Or - it gets mowed over because it's "hiding". I leave mine exposed a few inches.

Themp

Reaction score
Sewer cleanout ruined

I had a PVC threaded cap on the sewer cleanout and when the plumber came out to snake the line for a blockage, he told me up front that the interior threads on the cap were going to be ruined. And sure enough they were, so I just cut off the cap and added a plain 4" PVC pipe with a rubber Fernco cap just below the height of the mower blade.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Quote; he told me up front that the interior threads on the cap were going to be ruined. And sure enough they were

Either he was NOT a very competent drain cleanor, or he did not have the proper machine, because THAT is the only place I normally snake from and the "interior threads" are NEVER damaged. A photo of your pipe might help because there is NO "normal" plumbing fitting that would measure 4 5/8"

LBrandt

Reaction score
Quote; he told me up front that the interior threads on the cap were going to be ruined. And sure enough they were

Either he was NOT a very competent drain cleanor, or he did not have the proper machine, because THAT is the only place I normally snake from and the "interior threads" are NEVER damaged. A photo of your pipe might help because there is NO "normal" plumbing fitting that would measure 4 5/8"

When I say 4 5/8", I am referring to the distance between the threads at the surface. As far as the fitting below the threads, I can't measure that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks