how long for cat 5 cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Amazoon has some 200' cat6 and 5 cable with good reviews for 10 bucks. How far can I go? Some say 500'?

whats the dif with the 5 and 6?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
CAT5e or CAT6 is certified for gig. The official distance is 90 meters for cable plant and another 10 meters for jumpers for a total of 100 meters. If running at lower speeds you could probably double it as long as you are not running CSMA/CD.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Amazoon has some 200' cat6 and 5 cable with good reviews for 10 bucks. How far can I go? Some say 500'?

whats the dif with the 5 and 6?

Cat6 has about 2X the bandwidth as cat5, Crosstalk and noise is better using Cat6, it has a slightly larger conductor.

Depending on it use, Cat5e or Cat 6 can be used up to expected MAX of 1000 feet.

But to stay in the intended Spec for Cat6 100 meters if you want 1Gig rating.

Cat5 will do fine for most uses, But Cat6 is rated better - about 2X Bandwidth. (I find that hard to believe)

Enjoy your purchase. That sounds like a good price, If shipping is free.

DonL

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
NEXT: Running cable for a little security camera - outputs are rca connectors. Can I go 250'? Seems I read that cable is only good for 100'.

Wireless does not want to work here. Any ideas?

DonL

Reaction score
NEXT: Running cable for a little security camera - outputs are rca connectors. Can I go 250'? Seems I read that cable is only good for 100'.

Wireless does not want to work here. Any ideas?

You can use Cat5/6 and a Video Balun like this one.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-7710

they are 7.99 if you use the correct Discount Code. You would need 2, One on each end.

If you need audio also, they make a balun with audio also for a lot more money.

400 feet should be no problem. They claim 1000 feet max. Seems a stretch.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Coax distance limits are based on size and spec. You don't say what coax you plan to use.

Baseband or component video is pretty old school. We have miles of old coax strung throughout the plant. All our new cameras are IP and we plan to convert some of the old cameras to IP as well.

IP camera pricing has really come down and companies like Ubiquiti have really shaken up the market.

http://ubnt.com/airvision

DonL

Reaction score
Nice Link LLigetfa.

NTSC Composite Video is a pretty low frequency system 6 MHZ in design.

The Distance problem is more with powering a device from the other end, Then Video Loss at 6 MHZ.

It is best to power the Camera near its closest source, Then just use the coax for the Video.

If the Coax is large enough, then running 500ma or so should not be a problem.

Depends on the cameras and system.

Video Over IP is the way to go, But does cost good money. Maybe Money well spent...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A lot of cameras I have looked at spec 250' or 300' max. Besides the power issue, I think the video image starts to suffer on long cables.

DonL

Reaction score
Around here I RF Modulate everything, and keep it contained in a Coax versus Wireless.

The only drawback is that you have to Demodulate to view it.

With Old School TVs it works fine, The can Demodulate Analog, and also keeps NTSC TVs out of the landfill.

If you tap into the Tuner Out IF, after Demod you can feed other Video Devices. (Should not be used for PPV)

If an off the shelf Video Camera has a built in Cable then that is the Length it is designed to operate with.

Adding any extra will just Make Video smear worse.

If your equipment uses BNC connectors then you can use a good Quality RG6 or RG11 and make it as long as you can afford.

Now that wire is so expensive it makes more sense to uses Baluns and Cheap wire. If you don't really need the shielding that Coax provides. Use Shield Cat cable if needed.

Making your own Balun's is a lot cheaper than buying them.

Its about Whatever Floats Your Boat.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
You can use Cat5/6 and a Video Balun like this one.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-7710

they are 7.99 if you use the correct Discount Code. You would need 2, One on each end.

If you need audio also, they make a balun with audio also for a lot more money.

400 feet should be no problem. They claim 1000 feet max. Seems a stretch.

Looks like a great solution for cheap. Thanks all for the info

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks