Blower Motor Control

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would ask the folks at Fasco. mailto:fascohelp@RegalBeloit.com

I have a variable speed control on my wood burning fireplace and have been trying to find one that produces less hum. It has been trial and error and my failures are now speed controls for ceiling fans.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
What type of switch was you going to use ?

It can be operated at a lower speed but you would have to use the correct controller.

DonL

If one used the correct controller would it be a switch?
Would it be a VFD controller?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There's JW taking things literal again. It must be a common OCD with teachers as I had a few teachers like that.

All of my variable speed controllers also have a switch. Some motors are speed controlled by simple switches but I'm sure that is not what the OP had in mind.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If one used the correct controller would it be a switch?

That must be a trick question.

Mostly any electronic device that controls anything electronic are an electron switch.

That is why I ask , What type of switch. It may be a Mechanical switch.

A lot of them blower motors can operate at different speeds just by connecting the voltage tap
that the motors have built in.

Restive or taped transformer can be used for a motor that requires 60 HZ. You have to control the voltage but keep the frequency at 50 - 60 or around.

Tell me the answer JW, How would You do it ?

The way that I would do it would depending on the application.

But it can be done.

DonL

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
On an electric motor to control the speed one has to control both voltage and frequency thus no switch but a variable frequency drive is used to control the speed.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You can vary the air output and reduce the amp draw by restricting the air inlet. Cardboard is cheaper than a VFD.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
And a VFD to control the linear actuator motor!

JW:If one used the correct controller would it be a switch?

It would be a metal or cardboard restrictor. So says the smart a&% student.

Lest anyone doubt my point, here is a Fasco rig that has ALREADY heard my idea and put it into production.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=16-1404&catname=electric

Remember the first and second rule of design : KISS

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
And a VFD to control the linear actuator motor!

It would be a metal or cardboard restrictor. So says the smart a&% student.

Lest anyone doubt my point, here is a Fasco rig that has ALREADY heard my idea and put it into production.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=16-1404&catname=electric

Remember the first and second rule of design : KISS

whoo hoo! suction throttling; no lips

the linear actuator motors we use have digital positioning feedback to a counter module. gets interesting.

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
On an electric motor to control the speed one has to control both voltage and frequency thus no switch but a variable frequency drive is used to control the speed.

I have a variable motor speed controller that I have used for 20+ years to change the speeds infinitely on a die grinder. Full speed is fine using a carbide cutter.....but switch to a paper roll with an extension and it's way to fast.....

I will test it for you and see if your correct....I am somewhat skeptical as to the HZ being reduced with the voltage on the item I have due to it's small size....and the fact that is at least 20 years old and there are likely no "hi-tech" components in it....

I have a Fluke meter that reads frequency.....or HZ as it is usually called these days. I use it all the time on generators.

I'll report back tomorrow on what I see on my meter...

The company that offered the speed controllers may not be still making them......Their business went down as almost all electric hand tools started to come with built in speed control.....Their products were advertised as being able to control speed without a loss of torque or drive power and they work very well.....I don't recall where I bought it but it might have been Grainger.....It is fused and has a rocker switch for full speed or variable and a dial for speed......It is small ...maybe twice the size of a pack of cigarettes.....I will have to look at it's current rating.....My guess is 10 @ 120volts.......I have used more than one and they were all the same in size and operation........and cost under $100.....

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a variable motor speed controller that I have used for 20+ years to change the speeds infinitely on a die grinder. Full speed is fine using a carbide cutter.....but switch to a paper roll with an extension and it's way to fast.....

I will test it for you and see if your correct....I am somewhat skeptical as to the HZ being reduced with the voltage on the item I have due to it's small size....and the fact that is at least 20 years old and there are likely no "hi-tech" components in it....

I have a Fluke meter that reads frequency.....or HZ as it is usually called these days. I use it all the time on generators.

I'll report back tomorrow on what I see on my meter...

The company that offered the speed controllers may not be still making them......Their business went down as almost all electric hand tools started to come with built in speed control.....Their products were advertised as being able to control speed without a loss of torque or drive power and they work very well.....I don't recall where I bought it but it might have been Grainger.....It is fused and has a rocker switch for full speed or variable and a dial for speed......It is small ...maybe twice the size of a pack of cigarettes.....I will have to look at it's current rating.....My guess is 10 @ 120volts.......I have used more than one and they were all the same in size and operation........and cost under $100.....

There is more than just one type of speed controller design for AC motors. The Voltage/Frequency charactaristic is often a programmable parameter that is designed for the machine function. Years ago, the designs were more basic and brutal on motors. today, the drives and motors are designed to work well with each other and offer protection against overload damage. And then there is pulse width modulation speed control

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
You can change speeds on a motor by varying the frequency or the voltage, but you don't need to do both.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Other than Ballvalve's Idea.

The cheapest way to change the speed of a brush-less AC motor, Is to use Capacitors or / and Resistors.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks