Installing toilet with offset flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Swetzel

Reaction score
Hi,
I am installing a new complete toilet on an offset flange, and when I removed the old toilet (assuming because I had a water leak from toilet wax ring) I saw the old wax ring was not centered over the drain hole. It was centered over the offset flange, 1/2 over the hole and 1/2 over the recessed area of the offset flange.

see pictures

How do I install the new toilet, do I use 2 wax rings, one with reinforced area and one without?

Do I install it the same as it came off but with 2 wax rings to prevent the leak from happening again?

The old wax ring didnt even look smashed down. It looked like new but with erosions on it, kind of like water eroding dirt as it travels through it.

The bolts were in the center of the flange, you can see the outline on the flange where they were.

I had water all around the bolt pattern cutouts and the flange.

I had tile installed a few years back and they reinstalled the toilets with new wax rings and this is now what I have.

The tank fits to the top of the pictures below.

Thanks,

Shad

Please help!

Attachments

• flange 2.JPG
    flange 2.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 9,580
  • flange 1.JPG
    flange 1.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 7,822
Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Offset flanges are not highly regarded by plumbers on this forum, but I assume there is a reason for it and changing it would be a major problem. That said, it appears in the photos that the flange is recessed below the tile. This too can present a problem. Flanges are supposed to be set on top of the finished floor and not inset. Again, you have to deal with what you have. I can't tell how far below the top of the tile the flange is, and that is the telling factor on what to use to set the new toilet. For example, if the top of the flange was even with the top of the tile, just a thick wax ring would be enough. If it is 1/4" below the top of the tile, then two rings would be used. Use a plain ring first, the on with the plastic flange. If it's lower than that, you may want to add an extension ring then the wax.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A standard wax ring probably won't be big enough in circumference to cover the flange, so, you'll have to cut and piece a couple together. Then, if it is recessed, you may need to make another layer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is the worse kind of offset collar they could have used. It creates a "shelf" under the outlet which can be a clog point. But you do have to "construct" a wax ring that sits on the ENTIRE circumference of the flange, and HIGH ENOUGH so it does "crunch" when the bowl is installed.

closet_flange_offset.jpg

Better

Last edited by a moderator:

JerryR

Reaction score
That is the worse kind of offset collar they could have used. It creates a "shelf" under the outlet which can be a clog point. But you do have to "construct" a wax ring that sits on the ENTIRE circumference of the flange, and HIGH ENOUGH so it does "crunch" when the bowl is installed.

I had one of those offset flanges that I just had replaced. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?43517-Oval-Offset-Flange&highlight= The Floor had to be chipped out.

One thing that I used on the two toilets recently installed was the SaniSeal instead of a wax seal. I did not install it on the old oval offset but when I placed in on the offset to test coverage of the flange it covered the complete outside diameter.

If this were my bathroom I would be tempted to try the http://sanisealgasket.com/ . It would not collapse as a wax seal would. It could be installed upside down so as there is no blockage due to the shelf. See directions at:

http://sanisealgasket.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/installation.jpg

"Install SaniSeal Toilet Gasket as it is packaged with the flange folded in on itself and also upside-down."

As I said, I used these on two recent installations and was impressed. A single SaniSeal can be used even if the flange is 3/8" below the finished floor. If it is more than 3/8" below the finished floor, two can be stacked without fear of collapsing.

Jerry

flange3.JPG
flangeNew.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks