It's a girl! British royal succession rules to change

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Finally. It's about time!
http://news.yahoo.com/girl-british-royal-succession-rules-change-104444789.

The day is going to come Ian, where, an American can come over and rule England! I got dibs. :) and, I am a catholic!

Times are changing Ian, times are changing...

PERTH, Australia (Reuters) - Centuries of British royal discrimination came to an end Friday after Commonwealth leaders agreed to drop rules that give sons precedence as heir to the throne and bar anyone in line for the crown from marrying a Roman Catholic.

The 16 countries that have Queen Elizabeth as their monarch agreed to the changes put forward by British Prime Minister David Cameron, who had called the rules of succession outdated.

"The idea that a younger son should become monarch instead of an elder daughter simply because he is a man, or that a future monarch can marry someone of any faith except a Catholic, this way of thinking is at odds with the modern countries that we've all become," Cameron told reporters.

The agreement came on the sidelines of a Commonwealth summit presided over by the Queen in the remote west Australian city of Perth.

Current succession rules dating back to 1688 and 1700 were designed to ensure a Protestant monarchy, and bar anyone in line to the throne from marrying a Catholic.

Only a Catholic link is barred. There are no restrictions on marrying members of other religions or atheists.

The rules have their roots in a turbulent period of English history dating back to Henry VIII's break with Rome in the mid- 16th century. The laws were imposed at a time when Catholics were seen as a threat to the state.

However, the British monarch remains head of the Church of England.

The leaders also agreed to drop the practice of giving precedence to male over female heirs to the throne, regardless of age.

The issue has been brought into focus by this year's wedding of Prince William, second-in-line to the throne, and Kate Middleton.

Without a change, their first son would eventually become king even if he had an older sister.

A group will now be set up to coordinate the necessary legislation for the changes.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Bob and I are going to make alot of not-so-subtle changes in England. :) You will think you are in...America!

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Finally. It's about time!
http://news.yahoo.com/girl-british-royal-succession-rules-change-104444789.

The day is going to come Ian, where, an American can come over and rule England! I got dibs. :) and, I am a catholic!

Times are changing Ian, times are changing...

PERTH, Australia (Reuters) - Centuries of British royal discrimination came to an end Friday after Commonwealth leaders agreed to drop rules that give sons precedence as heir to the throne and bar anyone in line for the crown from marrying a Roman Catholic.

The 16 countries that have Queen Elizabeth as their monarch agreed to the changes put forward by British Prime Minister David Cameron, who had called the rules of succession outdated.

"The idea that a younger son should become monarch instead of an elder daughter simply because he is a man, or that a future monarch can marry someone of any faith except a Catholic, this way of thinking is at odds with the modern countries that we've all become," Cameron told reporters.

The agreement came on the sidelines of a Commonwealth summit presided over by the Queen in the remote west Australian city of Perth.

Current succession rules dating back to 1688 and 1700 were designed to ensure a Protestant monarchy, and bar anyone in line to the throne from marrying a Catholic.

Only a Catholic link is barred. There are no restrictions on marrying members of other religions or atheists.

The rules have their roots in a turbulent period of English history dating back to Henry VIII's break with Rome in the mid- 16th century. The laws were imposed at a time when Catholics were seen as a threat to the state.

However, the British monarch remains head of the Church of England.

The leaders also agreed to drop the practice of giving precedence to male over female heirs to the throne, regardless of age.

The issue has been brought into focus by this year's wedding of Prince William, second-in-line to the throne, and Kate Middleton.

Without a change, their first son would eventually become king even if he had an older sister.

A group will now be set up to coordinate the necessary legislation for the changes.
And so now we know why the saying

"Balls said the Queen, if I had them, I'd be King" came from. Well not really, just had to say it. And what about a person of Jewish faith? Is discrimination still allowed when it comes to religions? What a bunch of hypocrites. Mummy, mummy I say, is my spot of tea ready?

Cookie

Reaction score
"I say", ( in my best english accent) let's ban all hats, for starters; & make the palace into condos!

or... a huge B&B, with proceeds benefiting the USA & its people!

...works for me. ;)

Cookie

Reaction score
Nope, I think, they could always marry anyone from anyother religion, or no religion, it states that, other than a...catholic. Imagine that, lol. You would fall in love, and, your "religion" would prevent you from marrying that person. That is not only discrimination, but, just stupid and silly in my books. For one, it is not anyone else's business or say for that matter, why would anyone put up with that for so many years? It is just stopping now? Wow... How nuts.

How could anyone not love us?

Last edited by a moderator:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Nope, I think, they could always marry anyone from anyother religion, or no religion, it states that, other than a...catholic. Imagine that, lol. You would fall in love, and, your "religion" would prevent you from marrying that person. That is not only discrimination, but, just stupid and silly in my books. For one, it is not anyone else's business or say for that matter, why would anyone put up with that for so many years? It is just stopping now? Wow... How nuts.

How could anyone not love us?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_VNqDZfdnA

Come on Terry, let us have that pot stirring emoticon! please!:eek:

Attachments

• stirthepot.gif
    stirthepot.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 529

Pipehacker

Reaction score
Bob and I . . .

Horsecrap. It is I who shall rule that dog-peed on nation. But to prove that I am a benevolent dictator, I shall put a true man of compassion in charge of the British welfare system. Your new Home Secretary shall be Ballvalve, a man whose kindness and understanding exceeds only my own. May the sun never set on the LOTW-Ballvalve empire. "A handgun in every pot" shall be our motto.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Your wish is the Main Mans Command.

Terry's Forums are the best.

Thank You Terry.

Catholic's are no better than the rest of the People on this Earth.

Think what You believe.

One should not be so quick to Judge others...

DonL

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Horsecrap. It is I who shall rule that dog-peed on nation. But to prove that I am a benevolent dictator, I shall put a true man of compassion in charge of the British welfare system. Your new Home Secretary shall be Ballvalve, a man whose kindness and understanding exceeds only my own. May the sun never set on the LOTW-Ballvalve empire. "A handgun in every pot" shall be our motto.

I want to be the war minister. Time to re-awake manifest destiny.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ian,must be away on business, lol. He won't see this, :)
where's that steam coming from?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I want to be the war minister. Time to re-awake manifest destiny.
I agree, ballvalve; you have the temperament and attitude to be the war minister. And you can cobble up weapons better than McGyver ever could. That cursor thing is going on again. WHO is F'in up this place? Grrrrrr. But you are angrier than I am.

Attachments

• stirthepot.gif
    stirthepot.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 538

Cookie

Reaction score
Like,.. you didn't know, lol.

where's that list by the way? :) this could had been 2 of them for you!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That is what is great about freedom.

Waking up and not having to go to church.

Halloween tomorrow.

America is quite funny with halloween.

There are people here that are so churchy, they won't even go to a halloween party.

Quite incredible.

So, let's have a head count.

Who would and who would not let their three year old go to a Halloween party, in costume with bouncy castle and all?

I am a yea.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I am sitting here sewing halloween costumes, little pumpkins, for a childrens hospital halloween party. It is fun for the kids, why take the holiday so serious, this isn't Salem Mass anymore, lol. Let kids be kids. I sewed my youngest a costume one year, made him into, Cousin It.Well, the weather was so bad, trick n treating was called off, so, instead we went to supermarket where you could treat n trick, and they had a costume contest. He won first prize! Under all that yarn, when I said, " you won, you won;" I heard, this little squeaky little voice, say, " how much, how much?" He was so excited and that year, he bought himself with his Geofrey money, a 50 dollar Power Ranger mobile.

I am not saying there are not people who do not believe in Witchcraft, God, I know their are, but, I do not, and we celebrate to have fun. I will see if I have a picture of him from that year when he was 5. He was so cute... and still is. Just a bigger cute.

*Just so you know, I have been doing this at one of our childrens hospital since, I was a candystriper at age 13. I met Joe Namath once. I brought him a cold water pitcher, he was very nice and I got his autograph.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Ian, I could make you into ... let's see, Paul McCartney! or, one of those past kings, oh my... :)

Cookie

Reaction score
...or, I could make you into an Cousin It. I would need more yarn, though, lol. Cute picture don't you think?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks