Propane to Natural Gas conversion on furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

Willie Two

Reaction score
I have a RV trailer furnace that I would like to switch over to natural gas. Is it feasible or could they be just too great a difference in the unit construction. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd need a regulator for the NG and a change in jets as the energy content between the two gases is different (NG has lower pressure and needs a larger jet). If the manufacturer has certified it for NG, you can get the kit from them. Otherwise, it probably isn't a good idea.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This really is not a DIY job even if you can find and obtain the parts. You need to hire a professional who has the ticket to work on gas appliances. You f**k up and you and your family are dead. Yes, I know this is a forum to provide advice and assistance for DIY, but sometimes the best advice is to hire a professional.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
What Gary said.

Without a manufacturer's kit, indemnification, instructions & technical support many pros wouldn't even touch this one. Otherwise the shift of liability from the manufacturer to the retrofitter would be too heavy to be worth it. Even if the pro got it right 99.5% of the time, the downside risk wouldn't be worth it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, modifying the equipment tends to negate the AGA/GAMA listing it was manufactured under. IF the manufacturer is comfortable with it, they produce a conversion kit for the field. There will be plenty of lingo about needing to be installed by a qualified professional. This raises insurance issues if you do it yourself and the house catches fire!

Willie Two

Reaction score
Actually, The furnace has been salvaged out of an RV and I currently use it to heat a detached garage/workshop. I am using it now with a 30 lb bottle and changing it is a pain in the butt.......running a gas line would be an easy solution if the furnace was easily converted.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Actually, The furnace has been salvaged out of an RV and I currently use it to heat a detached garage/workshop. I am using it now with a 30 lb bottle and changing it is a pain in the butt.......running a gas line would be an easy solution if the furnace was easily converted.

I guess you missed the point that everybody tried to make to you about the conversion, even if it works great now on LP. Don't mattere where you use it to keep cozy.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have always found the NG supplier ready to help with that kind of conversion. They want you to use their gas, and they want that done safely. So, give them a call and you might just find you can take the furnace there and they will have the new orifice needed for the gas jet and will inspect the furnace for any possible cracks and then install the new orifice for only a small price.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need at a minimum both a new gas regulator and jetting. And, if the manufacturer does not certify the furnace for use with NG, you'll be at risk. As mentioned, IF a kit is available, then it is fairly straight-forward, otherwise, you shouldn't do it.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You dont need a new regulator, the kit comes with a new spring to adjust the pressure and larger jets. Call the MFG or graingers parts.

Being an RV, very unlikely that the valve was meant to be changed over to nat. Put your tank outside, make it larger and they will fill it for you.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
... Put your tank outside, make it larger and they will fill it for you.
That is what my wife and I did on our houseboat a few years ago. A 20# bottle would run the 'fridge for a week while we carried our 100# bottle to shore and had the LPG folks come fill it at a friend's dock, and then we were good for another five weeks!

LicensedNC

Reaction score
I have a RV trailer furnace that I would like to switch over to natural gas. Is it feasible or could they be just too great a difference in the unit construction. Thanks
Willie,
Converting your propane furnace to natural gas is fairly simple if you are mechanically inclined. A lot of times, the manufacturer has instructions on how to convert your specific appliance. Depending on the age of the unit and availibility, you may be able to find the conversion kit needed. I always recommend reaching out to the manufacturer directly, let them know what model you have and see if they have a conversion kit for that specific unit available or any instructions on how to do the actual conversion. Yes, getting a licensed contractor to do that work is probably the safest way to convert your propane furnace to natural gas but labor costs could come into play. I have written a step-by-step guide that can assist you if you are still looking to convert your propane furnace to natural gas. This is a universal guide for any type of furnace as I go over the necessary steps to do the actual conversion once you have the conversion kit in hand. You can visit that guide at LicensedNC - How to convert your propane furnace to natural gas

Fitter30

Reaction score
Since lp orfices are smaller they can be drilled out. Need the correct size and a pin vice to hold the bit. These bits are very small easy to break drilled by hand. Furnace over ten years old if they did make a spring for the gas valve doubt any one would have one. Look up the number off the valve might find a manual on it. Gas pressures have to set after conversion.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since lp orfices are smaller they can be drilled out. Need the correct size and a pin vice to hold the bit. These bits are very small easy to break drilled by hand. Furnace over ten years old if they did make a spring for the gas valve doubt any one would have one. Look up the number off the valve might find a manual on it. Gas pressures have to set after conversion.
The thread is 11 years old.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks