Rough In clearance on spec sheet for Toto cst743 &744

Users who are viewing this thread

taylorman

Reaction score
6 years ago installed a Toto Dalton in basement based on Terry's recommendations. Works fantastic. Now doing main bathroom and
removed a 25 year old toilet. After I installed tile on back wall, it looks like rough in will be 11 1/4". Again researched Terry's
recommendations and he states that for problem rough ins the Drake cst743/744 would be a fit for even 10 7/8". I can see from the 744' s
spec sheet how he figures this out but the spec sheet on the 743 states only a 3/4" clearance from the wall. How can this be when both are the same and which clearance is the real one based on all your install experience. Also thinking of the Soiree or Guinevere with the Unifit
option, but do skirted toilets add any hidden install problems? Some of these tolerances are to close for comfort!!!Thanks for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those with the UniFit, generally have a nominal 3/4" behind them. You can usually fudge the position of the toilet up to maybe 1/4", so you could probably fit one of those. The unifit attaches to the flange and the floor, so it needs four holes drilled in the floor to anchor it. You'd need a diamond core bit to drill the holes through some tile, but a carbide might do it on some of the softer ones. Because of the skirt, you have only a range of where it can be without it interfering with the install.

taylorman

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! UniFit seems to have some wiggle room but is the supply line position that critical in those skirted installs? Mine is 5 3/4" so it
should be ok. Thanks again!

JerryR

Reaction score
I installed an Eco Drake recently in master bath with 11 1/4" rough in an it fit fine. Tank is still about 3/8" from the wall.

Jerry

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 561
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of us are aware that rough-in numbers are pretty inaccurate. Sure, if you have a flange setting at 12" from the finished wall, a 12" toilet will certainly fit, but a frequent question on this forum is about flanges at less than one of the three standard rough in distances. Compounding the problem, different models of toilet of the same brand will differ in the the minimum space required. It might be helpful if there was a list or chart showing these minimums for the different models. I am thinking primarily of the Toto models.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There can and is a (hopefully slight) variation between toilets, even from the same manufacturer and model. Toto happens to be one of the more consistent ones. There's a warning on the spec sheet of all of them that says the dimensions are 'nominal' or average values...it could be a little bigger or smaller. Because of the stackup of the holes in the toilet and the flange, and because the horn of the toilet outlet is smaller than the flange opening, you can shift it slightly and that is often enough to compensate for those toilet to toilet variations. the toilets are MUCH bigger when they come out of the mold, and shrink while drying and then firing to their final size. How much they shrink depends somewhat on how wet the clay is. Toto uses some of the dryest clay of any of the manufacturers, which is why they are more consistent.

JerryR

Reaction score
Jerry,
Thanks alot for the pics and your time! I bought the Drake today and I think it will be ok. Tiling soon so I will let you know.

You're welcome. A picture is worth 1000 words sometimes.

You will love the Drake. My wife is still amazed how excited one can get over a toilet.

Check out the how to install posting at the top of the toilet forum.

Jerry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks