Check out this SanTee that I get to deal with... Back to Back toilets plus...

Users who are viewing this thread

cjldad

Reaction score
Helping out a friend who is redoing back to back baths and wants a set of nicer toilets (drake's)

What a mess...
The two 3" are back to back toilets.
The 1.5" is a tub, 2" shower.. (vents for tub and shower are connected to the 3" stack in the bathroom)

What is that tee called?

What are my options here? Can I find that fitting with one of the 3" horizontal hubs eliminated and add a vent/waste setup to the side of this setup? (Circled in red below)
Thanks for the help!

P.S. Clean out is below what you can see in the pic...
IMAG0332.jpg

single_to_double_lav.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can go into the upper wall with more venting that would help a lot.
The Sancross allows the water to rush past the down pipe and push air into the opposing toilet, which then lowers the water in that bowl.

In this bathroom, I took out the sancross and used two individual santees, each separately vented.

glynn_5.jpg

Last edited:

cjldad

Reaction score
Yeah, from reading here I got the idea that the double santee was a bad deal for these high flow toilets..

Can I cut and add a cleanout or cap to the one 3" on on the right of the existing "santee" then add my side unit that is circled in red above to the main drain and vent for that then unhooked toilet?
This would eliminate the cross since it has been capped or changed to a clean out and would give me a seperate drain below and vent above what is seen in the picture for that toilet that was eliminated from the double santee...

Thanks Terry.. Great information on this site!

cjldad

Reaction score
Is there a height or distance requirement for the new vent? Or just as long as it's above the current sancross??

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Who in their right mind would install a fitting like that?

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I guess when I put things together I think (probably too much) about how it might have to come apart some day too...

Bob, my house was built in 1975, it has copper supply piping, ABS dwv, copper wiring, and douglas fir joists...
Houses built around this era are my favorite type of construction.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That bottom picture looks like it may be a sovent system, depending on what the back side of that brass fitting looks like.

The back side of that brass fitting has another 1-1/2 inch sweat port too. Its a 3X3X3X3 inch cross with 2 1-1/2 inch side taps. did you mean solvent when you wrote sovent? Or does that mean something else? I really don't know what you meant by that. Its all brass on mine with all copper pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Sovent systems are NOT used in single level buildings, and when used require MULTIPLE fittings, not a single one. That is a common high side inlet sanitary cross, sometimes called a "cottage cross" or other some other local term, which has been used for DECADES for installations like that, although some areas will not approve one with TWO side inlets.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sovent systems are NOT used in single level buildings, and when used require MULTIPLE fittings, not a single one. That is a common high side inlet sanitary cross, sometimes called a "cottage cross" or other some other local term, which has been used for DECADES for installations like that, although some areas will not approve one with TWO side inlets.
Thanks hj, now that I know that was not a mispell, I googled it and see what it is

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks