Installing second TOTO Drake .. Question about the flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Tnkrer

Reaction score
After the first install went OK and the toilet has been working great for a month, I am now installing second TOTO Drake. (this time eco Drake)

When I had removed first toilet and seen the flange .. it had not looked like different videos /pictures that I had seen. I forgot to take a picture then. But now when I removed the second toilet, I took a picture.

toilet-flange-cast.jpg

In videos I had seen, the flange had some plastic connector that connected to the waste pipe. Here it seems that the waste pipe is just at the level of the sub-floor and there is some sub-flooring open between the flange and the waste pipe.

For the last toilet, I took one wax ring removed outer 1/2" so that the ring fit inside the flange and that brought the height to the flange level and then put another wax ring on it. Would that the be the right way to do it?

Also the waste pipe looks somewhat rusted. Fixing it would be beyond my skill level .. but is that something I should have a plumber look at .. at some point in future?

Thanks ..

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I wouldn't worry about the rust on the flange. It's going to be there a long time.

If the flange is below the finished floor, then I use two wax rings.

Tnkrer

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the rust on the flange. It's going to be there a long time.
Not the rust on the flange .. but the rust on the waste pipe .. I suppose that is cast iron and will last a long time too.

If the flange is below the finished floor, then I use two wax rings.

The flange is above the finished floor. However the inside of the flange, (the photo may be doesn't show it that well) it doesn't seem that the flange directly connects to the waste pipe. There is no sleeve or anything between the flange and the waste pipe. So it seems like sub-flooring inside the flange. (Or may be after years of use the old sleeve which probably wasn't plastic does not look like a sleeve any more?)

For comparison I am looking at this picture ..

toilet-flange.jpg

and I cannot see anything similar to the white part inside the flange..

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You don't have a plastic drain now, and there is no easy way to place a plastic drain over the old cast drain.
If your home was built in the last 40 years, then you would likely see plastic.
What decade was your home built in?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks