Americans, global warming, 100 degree heat, aging infrastructure

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Well, it's all come together for the next few days.

Americans caused global warming by driving cars that are too big on gas that is not taxed enough.

So the world warms up and America with it with large areas of the country for the next few days forecast to experience over 100 degree heat.

So we all put the AC on.

But because you have been so tight and cheap about keeping your infrastructure up to scratch (unlike in Europe) there is a chance that the high voltage network will not be able to cope.

This is a problem.

I say tax the lot.

TJanak

Reaction score
We lived without air conditioning for thousands of years. Those who whine and complain are a bunch of pansies.

I couldn't care less if the A/C went out. My wife would beg to differ though...

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Bla, Bla, Bla.

Suck it up Ian.

You sure do Bitch a lot.

Just like a Woman with PMS.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ian, go breathe some air in China or India. At least we try to reduce pollution here. Oh, escuse me for a minute, I've got to turn the AC down. Its above 100 degrees here today and I need a greater thermal shock when I come in from outside.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
New Yorkers are the most short on manners by far.

But the bottom line is your car is heating up my planet.

Take the bus.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
New Yorkers are the most short on manners by far.

But the bottom line is your car is heating up my planet.

Take the bus.
But Ian, how do you know that I do not use public transportation as many New Yorkers do, to commute? Our MTA system here in the NY Metro area has the largest ridership in Northern America. Your bandwidth is causing much pollution here you know. New Yorkers' manners may seem rude to outsiders, but we really are not, especially to each other. You know, we don't want to get shot or stabbed by somebody for no good reason. I've been to every state in the US except 3: Alaska, Washington, and Oregon. People in many states are nicer than New Yorkers, but rather odd in many other ways I think. The DC population is not so nice, as there are too many politicians and criminals (is there a difference?) there.

http://www.mta.info/mta/network.htm so, all these people are NOT using there cars to get to work or even go to the big apple from the 'burbs

Enjoy the rest of your day Ian. I know I will especially if you keep posting.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Everyone should be required to have electric cars in the city. Hmmmmmm imagine thousands of extension cords hanging out of windows on Beacon street......LOL

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Americans caused global warming by driving cars that are too big on gas that is not taxed enough.

English caused global warming with Newcomens crappy steam engine that burned up every tree and coal seam in England and in hundreds of other nations with about a 2% efficiency rating.

Their only good done was to kill a few tens of millions during exploration with syphyllis and smallpox and overwork. And hideous wars with long knives. Only the black death gave the earth a pause from the attacks of the English.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The climate threat is real and there is strong scientific evidence that American activity is the dominant cause of global warming that has occurred over the past fifty years. In 2011, China accounted for 22.3% of global carbon dioxide emissions and the US 19.1%. The UK accounted for just 1.7% in the same year.

America is just too big and has too many people. And y'all too unwilling to take the bus.

Pipehacker

Reaction score
[QUOTE=Ian Gills;311022 The UK accounted for just 1.7% in the same year.

That puts the UK somewhat on par with Somalia and is a sign of its irrelevance. It's percentage would be higher if its cars started more often.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Our cars are smaller because we tax gas for environmental reasons (we pay about $10 a gallon).

And we have public transport.

So you don't see individuals driving their F150s to work and back....three hours away!

You see small cars full of people. And buses. And trains.

Pipehacker

Reaction score
Our cars are smaller because we tax gas for environmental reasons (we pay about $10 a gallon).

And we have public transport.

So you don't see individuals driving their F150s to work and back....three hours away!

You see small cars full of people. And buses. And trains.

Admit it, Ian. An F-150 would be great for hauling away tree branches right now, wouldn't it? What would be even better is a good old fashioned bonfire, but where I live the regulators have prohibited the same in urban areas. Maybe if you haul your branches to Ballvalve in an F-150 the little bonfire that he has will take care of them.

I am glad that you and BobL are intact. See, the beer worked.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Nope. I prefer to deal with tree branches where they sit. Cut them up and toss 'em in trash bags so they're off to the landfill.

The only time there is any excuse to drive an F150 is to haul drywall and even then there are a few tricks you can use to get drywall into a smaller vehicle.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Nope. I prefer to deal with tree branches where they sit. Cut them up and toss 'em in trash bags so they're off to the landfill.

The only time there is any excuse to drive an F150 is to haul drywall and even then there are a few tricks you can use to get drywall into a smaller vehicle.

yes you can cut the drywall into several small pieces or do what this guy did: http://www.thisisjuststupid.com/stupid-cars-trucks/overloaded-car-almost-made-it/ . a pickup truck does the job no problemo. The F150 is an American icon

Cookie

Reaction score
Compost Ian. My husband and I built 2 of them. One was using the inside of the washer machine, putting a crank handle on it, putting it on a somewhat of a frame and it worked decent. The other is still standing, not well, but still usable, it is an older wooden one, using for the top, an old picnic table top. I make great dirt from grass clipping, smallish tree branches, fabric strips, food which won't draw rodents; here is a good site. I would like to see a tax deduction for those who buy the bins, etc.

http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/materials/organics/food/fd-house.htm

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cookie, how can you suggest composting Ian?:p he is still alive. In Europe, when I was there, I was told that bodies are only allowed to be buried for like 25 years or so, then they are dug up and the bones are placed in a bonehouse. How civilized and neat is that? That was in Switzerland, but they told me it is done in many countries in Europe.

Cookie

Reaction score
I can dream can't I? ;) LOL.

Cookie, how can you suggest composting Ian?:p he is still alive. In Europe, when I was there, I was told that bodies are only allowed to be buried for like 25 years or so, then they are dug up and the bones are placed in a bonehouse. How civilized and neat is that? That was in Switzerland, but they told me it is done in many countries in Europe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks