Advice needed for preparing for a hurricane

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Any tips on how to prepare for a possible hurricane coming through DC?

I have a basement.

map_specnews15_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg

Cookie

Reaction score
Yes, this,

If you are unable to evacuate, go to your safe room. If you do not have one, follow these guidelines:

•Stay indoors during the hurricane and away from windows and glass doors.

•Close all interior doors—secure and brace external doors.

•Keep curtains and blinds closed. Do not be fooled if there is a lull; it could be the eye of the storm - winds will pick up again.

•Take refuge in a small interior room, closet, or hallway on the lowest level.

•Lie on the floor under a table or another sturdy object.

...and pray.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks Cookie.

I can't afford a safe room.

Any tips for preparing the house?

DC is inland, so I do not know what to expect.

But I suppose 60mph wind and a lot of rain might not be out of the question, but it will not be the same as a full coastal hit.

Cookie

Reaction score
...and pray. lol.

and, take your animals with you. My cat, I put in a pillowcase, he feels safe in it and won't run. Unless, you got a cat carrier. If you got a cat that is.

Last edited:

Pipehacker

Reaction score
Ian, if 60 mph winds and rain is all what you are expected to get I wouldn't worry. Make sure your generator and chain saw work and lay in a supply of gas, water, propane for the gas grill, basic foods, etc.

Cookie

Reaction score
I shouldn't say he can't run in it, he did once. All around the floor tied up in pillowcase, but, he couldn't go fast and couldn't go far. I know my cat, he was probably looking for his food bowl. lol. The kids was amused and it made them laugh all the while you could hear that freight train noise, so the walking pillowcase also, took their minds off of it. Animals are less afraid if they can't see what the noise is all about. I know this for a fact. lol, no I don't, lol. But, it sounds good.

I read it in the bible. Noah said it as the animals was boarding, all in pillowcases. The truth it is in there.

That is where I learned this trick. Do you believe me?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
60 mph winds, sheez that is a gentle breeze! That is nothing... Don't worry. Just incase though if your wife is afraid, how big is she? smaller than a exlarge size pillowcase?

... just an experiment, lol.

The funniest thing that ever happened during one was after it all cleared and I when I walked outside to find, really nice outdoor cushions laying all on my deck. My husband said, I had to give them back, lol. I figured, finders' keepers...

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
...maybe, you will find something really neat afterwards! If it was me, I would go big, I need another car.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Any tips on how to prepare for a possible hurricane coming through DC?

I have a basement.

Well, if all else that Cookie suggested fails, Let me suggest this: Put your head between your knees, and kiss your *** goodbye.

Seriously, 60 mile an hours winds are nothing. Back in the 80's hurricane Gloria hit Long Island pretty hard http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-noreasters.com/HURRICANE-GLORIA.html and did some heavy damage here with sustained winds of 145 MPH!

And here is some info on Hurricane Hugo: http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-noreasters.com/HURRICANEHUGO.html

Pipehacker

Reaction score
75 mph instead of 60? The only difference this would make to me is that I would lay in a two day supply of beer instead of a one day supply.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
75 mph instead of 60? The only difference this would make to me is that I would lay in a two day supply of beer instead of a one day supply.

Like I told a "spitty" cab driver one time, I don't mind the wind, but the RAIN!

I prefer Margaritas, but if I run out of ice...........nah, just got to make sure I have enough gas for the generator.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I don't have a generator.

It's cultural. In England, I cannot remember having a power outage. Ever.

At what wind speeds do you need to "board up"?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I remember one Thanksgiving playing touch football in 60 mile an hour winds.
Passing the ball was kind of tough.

At the ranch in Mattawa, we always parked the cars with the nose into the wind, otherwise when you opened a door the wind would catch it and bend the metal.

What's that about Cookie suggesting you put your wife in a ex large pillow case until it's over?

Maybe not, she might think you have other ideas.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So now we in the Northeast have had a 5.9 magnitude earthquake. I felt it pretty good up here on Long Island, NY a little over an hour ago.

what is with this stupid typing cursor freezing up every ten seconds? It happens on every PC I access this group with!

Pipehacker

Reaction score
This is beginning to sound like the movie 2012 to me. If someone can confirm that they are building really big ships in China I am out of here. I sure hope that the world doesn't end on a day when the stock market is up 300 points.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
We had the earthquake pretty bad in DC. It was violent.

As predicted, America's public services and infrastructure failed to perform.

What a national disgrace.

The mobiles were down. Roads congested. And the metro working at slow speed.

In Europe, we'd have had public transport out in force. There was no sign of the police or fire brigade (volunteers).

I'm home now. Structural integrity appears intact. No apparent water leaks or gas. All electrical connections retorqued to spec.

Doors and windows checked for proper alignment and adjusted to within 1/64.

European upgrades to the original (lower standard) US design of the home performed well.

Asphalt tiles are for garden shed roofs, not homes.

And buildings should be built of brick (and not wood).

Next stop...Hurricane Irene.

Thanks for caring.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
We had the earthquake pretty bad in DC. It was violent.

As predicted, America's public services and infrastructure failed to perform.

What a national disgrace.

The mobiles were down. Roads congested. And the metro working at slow speed.

In Europe, we'd have had public transport out in force. There was no sign of the police or fire brigade (volunteers).

I'm home now. Structural integrity appears intact. No apparent water leaks or gas. All electrical connections retorqued to spec.

Doors and windows checked for proper alignment and adjusted to within 1/64.

European upgrades to the original (lower standard) US design of the home performed well.

Asphalt tiles are for garden shed roofs, not homes.

And buildings should be built of brick (and not wood).

Next stop...Hurricane Irene.

Thanks for caring.

And to whom was that last sentence addressed?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks