Leaking thread on softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Virtualdodo

Reaction score
Just installed a new whirlpool water softener everything went OK for th most part all my connections worked great, no leaks but the problem happens at the softener, I have 3/4" PEX going to the softener which is a 1" male NPt connection, so to preform this conversion i used a 3/4 x 1" sharkbite this connect my 3/4. PEX to a 1" Copper female threaded connection, put some Teflon on the plastic NPt connection threaded the Copper and I am getting dripping from my IN I have taken it off put on more Teflon put on less tightened it hand tight and wrench tight, nothing works just using Teflon tape on a blue roll if that means anything, my out is leaking to but almost not even noticeable like 1 drip every few min so not sure.

Any thoughts I am at my wits end here, I am hoping these Copper fittings aren't messed as they cost almost 30 bucks here.

I wanted a 3/4 PEX to NPt Male then just use a hose to connect which is what whirlpool shows on their site but the local hardware store looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head.

Sorry for any grammar and spelling on my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
With copper, you can tighten it to the 1" threaded connector until you cannot turn it anymore. In other words, thighten the shit out of it.

Virtualdodo

Reaction score
With copper, you can tighten it to the 1" threaded connector until you cannot turn it anymore. In other words, tighten the shit out of it.
Tried that tightened it right to the bottom of the threads still dripped.

Virtualdodo

Reaction score
So pipe dope first then wrap it in Teflon? I heard not all Teflon is created equally is this true? If so what's the beat stuff? What's the best dope? I hear some only do certain things.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Teflon tape first, then pipe dope. Some teflon has a lot of air whipped in to it. Not sure what brand name to buy, I've just always used both and don't get the leaks like you are.

Virtualdodo

Reaction score
Teflon tape first, then pipe dope. Some Teflon has a lot of air whipped in to it. Not sure what brand name to buy, I've just always used both and don't get the leaks like you are.

I have read lots of stuff on the net to not use pipe dope on plastic as it could break it down especially when water is involved.

Virtualdodo

Reaction score
Some pipe dope cans have oil that can soften the plastic.
Some cans will say if they are okay or not.

I called whirlpool and as soon as i said the problem the guy knew the answer he said put Reactorseal #5 on that should fix it he said the copper and plastic will chew through the Teflon tape like butter, Does that sound about right to you guys?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks