Replacing tub with shower stall

Users who are viewing this thread

buckshot

Reaction score
I want to replace a bath tub with a 2, 3, or 4 piece shower enclosure. I am limited in the depth (front to back) of about 35" max. Can someone tell me where I could get, say a 34 to 35" deep x 36" to 42" wide enclosure?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While some of those things look decent and can last, had you considered a real tiled shower? Lots of people do it themselves. Check out www.johnbridge.com Tile Your World website if that is a possibility.

Another thing to consider is that, while not that many people use their tubs as tubs, if this is the only one in the house, it could degrade the value. A family with young children really wants a tub, and some people feel it is essential.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Check with your local plumbing wholesalers - there are so many sizes available. How much time do you have to turn the shower renovation around?

JW

buckshot

Reaction score
JW, time is no problem as I am retired. Space is main concern as I really need enclosure with 35" or less front to back depth. Prefer about 36" to 42" side to side width measurement.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A properly built tiled shower with some nice porcelain is an asset to the house, while an enclosure generally isn't, if that's any help! Lots of things you can do in a custom shower (for one, make it the exact size you want), and include things you just can't get in an enclosure, like niches in the right place and size for your needs and maybe a bench or footrest so your wife can shave her legs easier. If you consider a surface membrane under the tile, and it's properly built, mold and mildew aren't a problem, either.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I could install a shower from a ready made kit in one day for you and your wife. A custom shower is a whole different ball game.

If your not in a rush and you have time - then you might try and push the custom shower on your wife. Many times the lady of the house is also the cleaner of the house. Shower cleaning and grout cleaning rank right up there with picking up after the dog and taking out the Garbage on Tuesday.

With these new linear drains that I have been pushing so hard online it's possible to have almost no grout lines in a custom shower. No grout lines makes for a much easier cleaning process. It also increases the costs but many times it is not the money but the weekly chore of cleaning a shower that drives people to a ready made shower kit.

Take your wife on a tile shopping date and go for lunch. Try and find a tile with a good slip resistance ask for help on this point. When you remove the grout lines you make cleaning easier but need to consider this point when selecting a tile.

Go visit a website at www.houzz.com for ideas.

Pick a shower - We can help you spec it right here on Terry's site.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
JW, time is no problem as I am retired. Space is main concern as I really need enclosure with 35" or less front to back depth. Prefer about 36" to 42" side to side width measurement.

The Shower Pans by AKW can be cut to fit if any standard sizes are to large.

Shannon Melvin
715-743-2771(o)
715-797-4008(c)
715-743-2738(f)
http://www.arcfirst.net/

Shannon is the goto man online in regards to ordering and installing these shower pans. I have not heard many good things about Tile Ready pans online but have done a ton of research on these AKW pans. Call Shannon or visit his website for more information;

http://www.arcfirst.net/

There are so many ways to build a shower.

Start with the end result and work backwards. Once you know the look, the size and such we can figure out how to build it. Often one concept or one choice starts a chain reaction that needs to be detailed and and figured out.

Good luck with your research.

JW

buckshot

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and info!!! We aren't in a hurry so will keep you posted on our final decision and outcome.

Thanks again....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks