I need help, yes another 10in rough in person

Users who are viewing this thread

Marib

Reaction score
My main bathroom has a builders cheapo toilet with nothing but issues. After much research I have decided to replace it with a TOTO

Now the problem I am running into is actually finding the one I want. Are they even made?

I am looking for a Drake 2 with a 10 inch rough in.
I have found the regular Drakes, but I want the skid mark preventive!

Do they make the Drake 2 in 10in?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Drake CST744EF.10

Vespin II with 10" Unifit
The Vespin II is like the Drake II, but with the added skirt that allows for the 10" Unifit

cst744ef.10_rough.jpg

Last edited:

Marib

Reaction score
Ahhh, thank you Terry for your help. I have been debating between the Drake and the Cadet and after reading about the Cadet 3 (and laughing at the responses) I want to look more into the TOTO.

Like I stated in the beginning, I have a 10 inch rough in. I would prefer round as I have a smaller bathroom, but it isn't going to be in the way of doors or anything so elongated would be just fine.

Now I do have an issue with "splashing" I am a total germaphobe and do not want my lil hiney to get wet! Also thrown in my germaphobe mix is I do not want to see any marks left over!

Now, that being said, I am a 36 year old Mother of 3, working as a lunch lady and do most my home repairs myself. I work to barely pay the bills and do need to stay within a good budget. I personally can not afford to pay more than $300 for the toilet, no matter what kind I get. My guess would be the one I have in my home now cost less than $100. It is horrible... but doesnt splash my bottom... haha

Does the Drake2 for the 10inch rough in come with CEFIONTECT? I just can't find it anywhere but of course this is the first time I have really researched the toilets online. The other one you listed is out of my budget. I just can't afford it. I wish I could.
The toilet I have now started leaking from behind it where there was a gap in my caulking. After putting in a new wax ring and repairing part of the closet flange? The bowl to tank area is leaking... again. Every time I paint or do something to their toilet it does this until I have worked with it several times.

So Looking for:
Drake 2 or similar quality
CEFIONTECT
10in rough in

No bottom spalshes.

HELP

Marib

Reaction score
And am hoping to find a place with prices comparable to yours here. So far, yours are priced better than any other sites I've seen. Wish I lived closer!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see any benefit to flushing while still sitting there! Few places sell the toilets at suggested retail, so you need to look around. Probably last resort, but it can work, is buying on-line and shipping. Big risk of breakage, though. The best bowl wash will be those Totos with the "II" designation.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb here,and I am sure I get berated for this,but I have installed Mansfield toilets many times and had good results from them,they are less than $125.00.Have had no complaints.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 10" I listed is not in the Drake II lineup. It's the original Drake, with tall bowl and a 10" bowl. C744EF.10 that mates up with either the ST743E or the ST743S tank.
I does not spash while sitting. Nor does the Drake II.

Jadnashua,
This is the big problem with Consumer Reports. They don't understand that more then half the population sits while flushing. Their report only works if you like to flush cut up kitchen sponges and left over baby wipes. Their testing doesn't work with toilet paper, poop from a human being, and it doesn't work for sitting down while flushing. So their testing fails for 99% of the population. But I still have hope that one day they will discover gray matter and start using it.

Marib

Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb here,and I am sure I get berated for this,but I have installed Mansfield toilets many times and had good results from them,they are less than $125.00.Have had no complaints.

The one I have now is a Mansfield.. Um, never again lol

Marib

Reaction score
The 10" I listed is not in the Drake II lineup. It's the original Drake, with tall bowl and a 10" bowl. C744EF.10 that mates up with either the ST743E or the ST743S tank.

Jadnashua,
This is the big problem with Consumer Reports. They don't understand that more then half the population sits while flushing. Their report only works if you like to flush cut up kitchen sponges and left over baby wipes. Their testing doesn't work with toilet paper, poop from a human being, and it doesn't work for sitting down while flushing. So their testing fails for 99% of the population. But I still have hope that one day they will discover gray matter and start using it.

How does it do on getting rid of poopy marks? I have a kid who must need to eat more fiber or something.

Marib

Reaction score

Jadnashua,

I flush while sitting down mainly because I have to flush after every wipe or the toilet clogs..

Marib

Reaction score
Personally, I don't see any benefit to flushing while still sitting there! Few places sell the toilets at suggested retail, so you need to look around. Probably last resort, but it can work, is buying on-line and shipping. Big risk of breakage, though. The best bowl wash will be those Totos with the "II" designation.
Doesn't look like I can get the Toto II with my 10 inch issues. BAH..

Even without the crappy toilet, I have always flushed while sitting.. *shrugs*

Marib

Reaction score
Sorry my bad:D
Lol, no worries.

I bought this house when it was 6 years old, Had already had 2 previous owners and was a spec home. They weren't going for high quality. Im sure it was a total bottom of the line mansfield :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I offered to replace my daughters Mansfield when she moved in six years ago too. She thought it was a dumb idea.
She bought three plungers the weekend she moved in, every toilet had been plugged.
She no longer has them. They all went to the dump.

I call them "starter" toilets.
You start with them, and then you replace them.
Though Consumer Reports likes them. I should ship all the Mansfield I take out to them.

Last edited:

Marib

Reaction score
I offered to replace my daughters Mansfield when she moved in six years ago too. She thought it was a dumb idea.
She bought three plungers the weekend she moved in, every toilet had been plugged.
After posting last on this forum, I went to use the bathroom and was greeted with a clogged toilet that someone decided they were to lazy to unplug.

My toilets clog on average 2 times a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I think to avoid clogging, we need to use 1 ply toilet paper, one square at a time. I am not willing to risk having a "finger through the toilet paper" moment

Marib

Reaction score
I think it is seriously pathetic that i have bought toilet plungers in pretty design cases because using them is a daily thing here. It would be nice to do what my dad does, have one in the garage if need be. I don't recall what kind of toilet he has... but lives in an upscale home and told the plumber to put the best he had in there. He has a plunger in the garage in case, but has yet to use it

Marib

Reaction score

Sooo, if your daughter was on a budget, hoping to spend around 300$.... what would be your top recommendation to her? The original Drake?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was going to give her the toilets, which I did 1-1/2 years later. I put in two Drakes, which she loves, and I installed a class five Kohler in one bathroom; which she is constantly bugging me to replace with a third Drake.

In Seattle, I'm selling the Toto Drake 12" standard rough for a range of $210 to $300 depending on whether it's round, elongated or ADA.

Marib

Reaction score
I was going to give her the toilets, which I did 1-1/2 years later. I put in two Drakes, which she loves, and I installed a class five Kohler in one bathroom; which she is constantly bugging me to replace with a third Drake.

In Seattle, I'm selling the Toto Drake 12" standard rough for a range of $210 to $300 depending on whether it's round, elongated or ADA.
Awesome! It looks like I will be going with the
Drake CST744EF.10

My downstairs toilet has a 12 in rough in so I can go with the DrakeII eventually

JerryR

Reaction score
Awesome! It looks like I will be going with the
Drake CST744EF.10

My downstairs toilet has a 12 in rough in so I can go with the DrakeII eventually

I just installed a CST744EF.10 last Friday and had building inspector come by to approve it on Monday. In most cities in South Florida the city has free building permits and rebate if you install a new 1.28 gal toilet. The city is sending me a $100 rebate check.

I spent many evenings reading reviews. The City water conservation guy was very vocal about the how good my choice was to buy a Toto Drake.

I had a 9.5" rough in to deal with even with the offset flange that the original builder installed in 1976. The CST744EF.10 fits fine ans till leaves about 1/2" space behind the tank.

Attachments

• toilet3.jpg
    toilet3.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 283
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks