Pressure Tank Bladder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Doozy8

Reaction score
Hello all. how do you know if your pressure tank bladder is shot? My pressure switch is tick tocking back and forth from 40 - 60 or so and I have noticed that the water pressure is the house is hit or miss lately.

Any advice?

Thank you

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Does the pressure hold when there is no water being used or does the pump still cycle? If it cycles continuously, there is a leak somewhere.

One way to check on the bladder is to calculate how much drawdown that size of tank should have and then measure the drawdown. If you come up way short, the bladder is suspect.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Drain the water from the tank and measure the air pressure at the schrader valve. The sticky at the top of the pump & tanks forum describes the process quite nicely.

Doozy8

Reaction score
I am sorry for not seeing your responses sooner, but thank you both for your advice. I will check the sticky in the forum. My neighbor had the same problem and had his pressure tank replaced about 2 months ago.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Or shut off the pump and drain all the water from the system, then measure the air pressure. If the bladder is shot it will be ZERO. If the tank is upright, it will act like a conventional storage tank, meaning it could be shot and still not run water out of the air valve, at least not until all the air is absorbed by the water.

djg

Reaction score
i have a question about the color of my well water, i had bought my first home a year ago and it passed all inspections,the home was built in 1958, has new water heater, and the bladder tank looks fairley new,when i run the cold water to fill a bucket up,it comes out clear,and stays clear for a little while, then it gradually turns a rust color and stains my dogs stainless steele water dish,but when i had used water softner pellets it doesnt seem so bad,what causes this color change?and is it harmful for my dog to drink?and when her water sits for a few hours, she refuses to drink it but will drink fresh water when offered,any answers to this is appreciated, as i know little about well water, and where could i get my water tested at?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Poke the air valve, if water comes out the bladder is shot
While that would certainly be true, the test is not conclusive. Some bladder tanks have the air valve at the top so a partially waterlogged tank would still have air at the top.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Or shut off the pump and drain all the water from the system, then measure the air pressure. If the bladder is shot it will be ZERO...

Another test is to add air while the draincock is open. If the air escapes through the draincock, the bladder is leaking.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
i have a question about the color of my well water, i had bought my first home a year ago and it passed all inspections,the home was built in 1958, has new water heater, and the bladder tank looks fairley new,when i run the cold water to fill a bucket up,it comes out clear,and stays clear for a little while, then it gradually turns a rust color and stains my dogs stainless steele water dish,but when i had used water softner pellets it doesnt seem so bad,what causes this color change?and is it harmful for my dog to drink?and when her water sits for a few hours, she refuses to drink it but will drink fresh water when offered,any answers to this is appreciated, as i know little about well water, and where could i get my water tested at?

Your problem is iron and has nothing to do with a bladder so you should start a separate thread.

Doozy8

Reaction score
Nothing comes out of the valve, not even air. My neighbor had the same problem as me and had the tank replaced. I am going to attempt to replace the tank today. I've already replaced the pressure switch and pressure relief valve 2 months ago. This is only 1 pipe (1" or 1 1/4"). I hope it's pretty straight forward.

Anyone have tips, advice or suggestions for a newbie at this stuff? I don't have a plumbing background, but like to try these things myself.

Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks