Has anyone tried using Stone Sealer (Aqua Mix, etc) inside a toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

jefferson17

Reaction score
I first searched this forum but didn't see anything like this here so I thought I'd give it a shot. We are redoing our master bath and using natural stone for the floor (mocha onyx) and shower (beige travertine). Naturally this requires stone sealer for everything. A single coat is "ok" but after the second coat ... wow ... water just beads up like anything - pretty darn cool I must say. Granted we are using an enhancing sealer because we want "that look". But Aqua Mix also does make sealers that are not also color enhancers.

So, I got to thinking, while researching toilets today. And I started to wonder - why not try a penetrating or stone sealer on a new porcelain toilet, to seal up all those microscopic pores, say 2 coats and see what happens. I can't imagine that a stone sealer could HURT porcelain, unless perhaps it was already specially treated like Toto CEFIONTECT.

Has anyone tried this? Terry - have you given this a shot? If not, would you mind doing so and seeing what happens? I'm guessing that you have more toilets around for experimenting then I do :)

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The sealer generally penetrates into the pores of the stone, which are likely to be larger than you'd have in a proper porcelain glaze. Some stones won't absorb any sealer and it is a waste of time and money to apply it (although the grout will). I'd expect the same result on a toilet...no effect, but I don't think it would hurt it.

jefferson17

Reaction score
I doubt that there are enough "microscopic pores" in a toilet to "grab" the sealer.

If that were the case, then wouldn't those same bowls should be pretty darn resistant to any "stickage" and staining from their normal function?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A microscopic image of the glaze would likely show it is very bumpy, but that has nothing to do with a hole or pore through it. Something like Sanaglos from Toto or Wondergloss from Duravit utilizes a different type of glaze that is much smoother, but it's still not perfectly smooth. I'd expect there are no holes through it, though.

A porcelain glazed piece doesn't absorb moisture. A natural stone can (depending on what it is).

jefferson17

Reaction score
Yeah I guess that makes sense - bumpy but no actual holes ... otherwise the water would slowly leak through, right? And that wouldn't be good :)

I had also emailed Aqua Mix to see what they think and here's what I got back:

"Thank you for contacting us. Although there is no hard in doing this… the sealer will NOT be able to seal the inside of a new porcelain bowl as the non-absorbent finish is designed to resist all liquids from absorbing, including our sealers."

Ah well ... nothing ventured, nothing gained ...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; If that were the case, then wouldn't those same bowls should be pretty darn resistant to any "stickage" and staining from their normal function?

Yes, and that is the DEFINITION of a toilet's glaze. Surface stains wipe off, but they do NOT penetrate the surface of the porcelain. China sinks are the same way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks