Atlantis' first full day in orbit nearly perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — The space shuttle Atlantis hasn't performed like a ship ready for retirement.
The first full day of the final flight of the aging space shuttle fleet — the most complicated machines ever built — was practically flawless.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2015561314_spaceshuttle10.html

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

I understand that Don did wiring on this shuttle.
Good job Don.

atlantis_launch.jpg

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I think that it a shame that Houston does not even get one of the Shuttles for Space Center Houston.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Well, I woke up this morning and decided that I would like to go to space.

So I phoned NASA and apparently they don't go there any more.

So, I'll be flying Russian instead for $63 million a seat.

That puts America in second place. But coming second ain't bad eh boys?

It's not the winning but the taking part that counts. So good try America! A for effort.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Well, I woke up this morning and decided that I would like to go to space.

So I phoned NASA and apparently they don't go there any more.

So, I'll be flying Russian instead for $63 million a seat.

That puts America in second place. But coming second ain't bad eh boys?

It's not the winning but the taking part that counts. So good try America! A for effort.

I prefer being first.

They already have Lost Cosmonauts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cosmonauts

Now we get the chance to have Lost Astronauts.

We may end up being third, There are other country's in the race also.

DonL

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
India and China may move ahead too.

However, I think the whole thing has been approached from the wrong angle.

It costs so much in fuel to get bulky people into space that that is a wasted cause.

We should focus our efforts on building small and send micro-electronic devices into space to do our exploring for us. Like crystal radios.

It really isn't rocket science.

And lost cosmonauts is not really the issue. America has lost its fair share through bad design or arrogance.

Lost in space is the real issue. You've never lost one there and that is something to be proud of.

If only you would value the health of poor Americans as you do of American cosmonauts in space. That would be a Great Nation.

Last edited:

Joe Six Pack

Reaction score
Ian,
Boys love their toys.
Taht will nevar change.

IN Alaska, were more real. We stick together, we need to. Thre are basic needs, thinsgs we need hare on earth.
It's fjun to go off exploring, but someone has to keep the fire going at home, and the kids fed.
Thank goodness for wamen. If ti was only men, they would be off palying all day.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
ALL those shuttles should be mothballed in one big room, and not sent around like some old manual typewriters. Our gov idiots again at work!

DonL

Reaction score
ALL those shuttles should be mothballed in one big room, and not sent around like some old manual typewriters. Our gov idiots again at work!

I agree, That would be better than a bunch Political idiots Fighting over them.

It would take a big ass room tho. But Houston JSC has rooms big enough, That will just be setting unused.

Another waste of your tax Dollar...

DonL

DonL

Reaction score
They would be better off landing in California and leave it there.

But they will land in Florida and take it to California to strip it, then off to New York, at a cost of 10 million or so. Then charge people to see it.

Pay to see what you already paid for.

I sound like Ian now. Bad me.

Guess he rubs off on everyone... But sometimes he is correct...

DonL

Ballvalve

Reaction score
When the Chinese start zapping our refineries and power plants from satellites with lasers, the country will wish it saved the shuttles.

Hell, SF bay is still full of liberty ships [the ones that allowed Ian to be born, that the Americans built in about 72 hours each. Still floating!]

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Those Liberty Ships really were a pile of junk. Wish we'd never paid for them. You saw us coming.

Should have known an American ship would have been no better than an American car.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I wish we hadnt built them too, because we never got paid for them. Each ship should have been a ruby from your queens crown.

We could have stayed home entirely, perfected the nuke, and then vaporized the london full of nazi's, Berlin and portions of france.

Then ruled the entire world, as is our manifest destiny.

And your parents would have been eating cardboard soup without those ships. Maybe a few turnips peelings for flavor and granpas boots for a bit of protein. England is and was an Island devoid of a possibility to support its population.

On your knees and bless those ships!

And light a candle for Henry Kaiser that built them, and used the returns to fund the most affordable health care system in california. We know you frequent several churches.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Those ships really were bad. First World War design. Not fast enough to outrun enemy subs so they had to travel in convoys.

Notice how you never got a return order?

And we did pay for them. The debts were fully repaid as of last year (or the year before) I think.

So we're square, and possibly in credit, given the supporting roles we are playing in your wars in Afghanistan and Libya.

DonL

Reaction score
Those ships really were bad. First World War design. Not fast enough to outrun enemy subs so they had to travel in convoys.

Notice how you never got a return order?

And we did pay for them. The debts were fully repaid as of last year (or the year before) I think.

So we're square, and possibly in credit, given the supporting roles we are playing in your wars in Afghanistan and Libya.

The checks in the mail...

Just don't cash it when you get it...

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I dont recall the design date, but it was the method of manufacture that changed how the WORLD builds ships. It was the volkswagon of ships that kept your folks from eating their shoes.

Anyone know why we are in Libya when we just had the pri%$ in a tent on the UN lawn a few months ago? A 5$ handgrenade would have saved us billions.

DonL

Reaction score
Anyone know why we are in Libya when we just had the pri%$ in a tent on the UN lawn a few months ago? A 5$ handgrenade would have saved us billions.

Started out, for the OIL , Just like all the rest of the places that we invaded.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
but it was the method of manufacture that changed how the WORLD builds ships.

That would be: a) cheap; and, b) cutting corners.

If it moves, don't buy it if it's American!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks