What type of pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rayh78

Reaction score
Just replace my main line. Had a blockage and was only 25 ft. to the road from a PVC cleanout 3 ft. outside the house. Have cast iron from the PVC cleanout to under house. Thought I had Orangeburg out to road, and have read that this should be replaced. Rental house of mine and did not want any reoccurring problems. So rented a small backhoe.
But anyway this seemed to be a gray color pipe. Almost like layers of paper wrapped with concrete in between. Instead of like tar I have seem on Orangeburg. Matter fact the heavy metal cutting sawall blade I used cuts fine thru cast iron but dulled quickly on this stuff.
I finished the job but actually felt I just wasted my time. I mean this pipe (about 50 years old) looked great, almost like new and heavier and thicker than PVC and much harder to cut.
The Orangeburg I have seen delaminates or looks deteriorated, weak and sags. This had no sags and seemed like it would even have a hard time doing so.
Almost like a 4" concrete pipe with paper layers. Asbestos maybe? Did remind me of asbestos siding I have cut and repaired in the past. That was great product if it did not have the health issuses.
Curious what type of pipe I had?
From the perfect looks of this stuff I just should have left it alone and had the line snaked.
Any opinions
Thanks

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
It sounds like it is asbestos, but the color wasn't gray it was white. That was the time period that it was used. What type couplings did it have? From what I remember the pipe had a tapered ends and the couplings were just pushed on. The couplings had a rubber gasket in them.

John

Last edited:

Rayh78

Reaction score
It sounds like it is asbestos, but the color wasn't gray it was white. That was the time period that it was used. What type couplings did it have? From what I remember the pipe had a tapered ends and the couplings were just pushed on. The couplings had a rubber gasket in them.

John

Yes I guess it may used to be white. The inside at least did look white now that I think about it. And did look like it was just pushed on unions. Came apart sort of easy.
Of course the smell and wanting to get the job over with, stopped me from inspecting it but so close.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep that sounds like asbestos cement pipe. I hope while cutting it you used water to keep the dust down and a resperator as that stuff is terrible for you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks