Help with three duplex plugs

Users who are viewing this thread

tomcola

tomcat
Reaction score
I would like to run three duplex plugs. One from a three wire coming in from the middle. I bought 14/3 wire and I find it has four wires. What do I do with the other wire? Also how do I wire it? Three duplex plugs. One in the middle and one on each side. Series is fine because nothing is on them .:confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can cap the unused wire (I think). While you can daisy-chain the receptacles, you can't run them in series (they must be wired in parallel if you understand the distinction of series/parallel). Just use the box in the middle as a junction box and branch off to each of the others. Or just go to one, then around back to the other. There is a code issue about box fill, so the quantity of wires and cables in the box will mandate a minimum size of the box - you have to have enough room to bring the wires in, make the connections, and then mount the receptacle in place without it being too cramped.

tomcola

tomcat
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. If you picture a "Y" three wires in at one duplex receptacle, then branching off at each side. How do I wire the last ones ?

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
The romexes going left and right tie to the incoming power and a short piece of wire is added under each wire nut to attach the receptacle. It's called "pig tailing".

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
There is not a device box that is big enough for three 3 conductor cables and a device so you should take the cable to one of the boxes on the end and then to the middle and the last box

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I bought 14/3 wire and I find it has four wires. What do I do with the other wire?

A 14/3 will give you two hots, a neutral, and a ground. They are often used for wiring three-way switches and for wiring switched split receptacles. Since you have the third wire, you could split your receptacles and wire the top plug through a light switch.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would like to run three duplex plugs. One from a three wire coming in from the middle. I bought 14/3 wire and I find it has four wires. What do I do with the other wire? Also how do I wire it? Three duplex plugs. One in the middle and one on each side. Series is fine because nothing is on them .:confused:
WHat you really needed was 14/2. The complete designation of the wire you got is 14/3 w/g ( with ground...a bare copper wire.) You just need 14/2 w/g. 14/3 would be used for 3 wire circuits, which is beyond the scope of this discussion

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; One from a three wire coming in from the middle.

WE, or at least I, have no idea what that means, but it could indicate several different issues all of which are completely different and would require specific wiring to extend them. The key item is that since you do NOT know where the "fourth wire" goes, you may not have the proper experience to do what you want to. The results of improper wiring range from a tripping circuit breaker, to injury or death, all the way up to a burned down house.

quote; 14/3 would be used for 3 wire circuits

Or a "split circuit", or a switched outlet on a duplex receptacle, or.........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks