Opinion on expansion tank installation. Picture included.

Users who are viewing this thread

John Vega

Reaction score
expansion.jpg

I am not an experienced plumber, however I am a little paranoid that the expansion tank that was recently installed in our home may eventually cause the pvc piping to fail due to the weight, stress being applied by the tank/fittings.

Attached is an image of the install. Should I be worried?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
you should be worried about that, but maybe more so that the CPVC plastic is attached directly to the tank. There should be AT LEAST 18" of copper between the tank and the plastic, with the expansion tank attached to the copper and PROPERLY supported with hangers or anchors.

John Vega

Reaction score
you should be worried about that, but maybe more so that the CPVC plastic is attached directly to the tank. There should be AT LEAST 18" of copper between the tank and the plastic, with the expansion tank attached to the copper and PROPERLY supported with hangers or anchors.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Curious if you had a licensed plumber install that joke bit, or was it a mentally challenged handyman?

Dont be worried. Be ANGRY.

John Vega

Reaction score
Curious if you had a licensed plumber install that joke bit, or was it a mentally challenged handyman?

Dont be worried. Be ANGRY.

The company replied to my email:
" It is mounted correctly, however, if you would like it removed we can send someone out to do that for you.

In reguard to the 18" of copper pipe: That is a requirement for gas water heaters. It is not required for your electric water heater."

I am talking with them now via email to come up with a solution to the install issues.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
When that tank eventually fails, it will fill with water. (Right now, it is partially filled with water, partially with pressurized air, and they are separated by a rubber diaphragm.)

When it is all filled with water, it will be very heavy, and will tip to one side, and will twist the pipe it is attached to, most likely breaking it.

It needs to be properly supported, in such a way that it will be stable when it is filled with water.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In Florida the 18" is not a code requirement on electric water heaters.
The primary concern there is heat damage from the hot flue, not 120 degree water in the tank.

However they do need to adequately support the expansion tank or it will break off the CPVC if it ever becomes waterlogged.

CPVC, IMHO is a junk material.

Last edited:

John Vega

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your feedback!

I have done some searching to try and find what the installation "should" look like. I have come up empty handed.
Do any of you have a diagram or picture of an installation which is done properly?

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The box that Watts tanks come in has suggested methods for installations. What you have is not one of these methods. If I was a professional plumber, which I am not, I would be ashamed of this installation. Not only for how the tank is installed, but the rest of the installation as well. Others have already chimed in on the problems, so no need to restate them.

John Vega

Reaction score
The box that Watts tanks come in has suggested methods for installations. What you have is not one of these methods. If I was a professional plumber, which I am not, I would be ashamed of this installation. Not only for how the tank is installed, but the rest of the installation as well. Others have already chimed in on the problems, so no need to restate them.

Wow, thats great to hear

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wow, thats great to hear lol...
Crazy thing is HUNDREDS of Lennar homes are plumbed exactly like mine except they don't come with an expansion tank by default.
I guess if it passes minimum code, you are good to go!

The Plumbing Code is a minimum standard.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the heating elements ever failed to be controlled properly, the temperature could (I think, anyway) exceed the safe operating temperature of the cpvc before the safety circuits shut it off or the T&P valve opened. Personally, I would not have cpvc connected directly to the WH, regardless of the type.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I believe the ECO trips at 200 and CPVC Flowguard gold is rated at 100 psi @ 200 degrees...

It's still junk and when I work in it I transition to PEX with a sharkbite and thats all folks...

But Florida Code does allow the direct connection to the water heater...

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I found the BIBLE on water heater installs from Watts. Its fun arguing, but if this was made into a sticky, we would all benefit. Great graphics and advice with calcs for tanks and valves.... have a look

http://www.blueridgecompany.com/documents/Watts-ThermExpansion.pdf

Take a good look at the 'inline expansion tanks' - interesting, made like hydraulic acculumulators that last forever.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
not too good

you need to get them to at least strap the expansion tank to the wall with
metal strapping to hold the weight.... possibly a 2x4 stilt under the cpve for support
on the pipe too......eventually it will get water logged and weigh about 35 lbs....

I feel that the better thing to do is simply take it out and put a plug in that fitting
expansion tanks are pretty much a joke and cause more troubles than they remedy
no one ever installs them properly with support and never inspects them years from now.

here is a real beauty I had to cut out and re-do one evening in February.. stupid DIY installation with shark plastic shark bite couplings to the heater that finally snapped and flooded the basement.. the expansion tank probably weighed 50 lbs and dropped like a lead weight to the floor,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks